Topic: Which RME audio Interface with Mac Studio M2?

Hi,
I am back in music after e few years ab sense. I discovered that I cannot use my REM Fireface anymore...
So I have to look for another Audio Interface. I do not understand which to choose, because how can I connect an Audio Interface with USB 3.0 wire a thunderbolt 3 or 4?

Is there somebody who can help me on way again in this topic?
Thanks in advance!

RME FF 800, YAMAHA S90ES, Cubase 5.2.2, Sibelius 6.2, Mac Os X 10.6.5.

Re: Which RME audio Interface with Mac Studio M2?

Your Mac M2 Computer has USB-C connectors and the new interfaces have USB, a simple USB cable will connect the interface.

The UCX ll is the small box interface with all features you may want.
The UFX lll is the large box top model
The Babyface Pro FS is the latest Babyface top mobile interface.

M1-Sequoia, Madiface Pro, Digiface USB, Babyface silver and blue

Where is the problem?
Looking at the tech specs you have
- 2 USB-C connections in the front
- 2 USB-A connections and 4x Tunderbolt in the back

You should be able to use any USB2 or USB33 recording interface if there are no driver issues.
You can even use PCIe cards in an external case (look at Sonnets offerings).
Or Thunderbolt docks with USB ports.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ggietman wrote:

Hi,
I discovered that I cannot use my REM Fireface anymore...

Fireface 400 and 800 actually still work fine with this chain of adapters:
Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter + Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter (not easy to get anymore, thus its used price got up...)

waedi wrote:

Your Mac M2 Computer has USB-C connectors and the new interfaces have USB, a simple USB cable will connect the interface.

The UCX ll is the small box interface with all features you may want.
The UFX lll is the large box top model
The Babyface Pro FS is the latest Babyface top mobile interface.

Thanks a lot! Then I think the UCX II is the one for me!

ramses wrote:

Where is the problem?
Looking at the tech specs you have
- 2 USB-C connections in the front
- 2 USB-A connections and 4x Tunderbolt in the back

You should be able to use any USB2 or USB33 recording interface if there are no driver issues.
You can even use PCIe cards in an external case (look at Sonnets offerings).
Or Thunderbolt docks with USB ports.

Thanks for your answer. I think the UCX II might be the one for me, but I also will look at the other possibilities you mentioned!

hselters wrote:
ggietman wrote:

Hi,
I discovered that I cannot use my REM Fireface anymore...

Fireface 400 and 800 actually still work fine with this chain of adapters:
Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter + Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter (not easy to get anymore, thus its used price got up...)

Yes, that's right I could not find the Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter, so I go for the UCX II. I think I can use that Audio Interface also ' mobile'. Then I can I record my piano, which is in another room.
Thanks for your help!

You can still use the old one as standalone converter via adat then, to extend the UCX II‘s analogue channel count.

hselters wrote:

You can still use the old one as standalone converter via adat then, to extend the UCX II‘s analogue channel count.

thanks, I was not aware of the possibilities of Adat! I am going to search how that works, so that I can use my ff 800 also in the future. Thanks!

A Fireface 800 has a lot of channels.
One ADAT optical connection allows sending of 8 channels at single speed (44.1/48),
4 channels at double speed (88.2/96 kHz) due to channel multiplexing.

If you want to use more than the 8 analog channels of your FF800, maybe also the Mic Inputs in the front and the phones output, then you might want to look for another recording interface. The UCX II has only 1x ADAT I/O.

Then you should definitively look at the UFX II which is equal in quality and features to the UFX III.
The only difference is that it does not support MADI (additional 64 channel via multimode fiber cable).

It is also more equal to your FF800 in terms of rack format.

Using the FF800 as preamp and AD/DA converter via ADAT is easy to achieve and you do not necessarily operate the FF800 in standalone more. I would keep it connected via Thunderbolt and Firewire adapter as confirmed by hselters, that it is still possible to connect it this way.

Then you can operate the FF800 still perfectly using driver settings and TotalMix FX.

In the DAW/application you would use the UFX II and access the channels of the FF800 (as preamp/ad/da converter).

When working with TotalMix FX you have two choices
a) to switch between the two recording interfaces in one TM FX Window
    and to select the interface in the pulldown menue in the upper right
b) to open another instance of TM FX and to select UFX II in one and FF800 in the other windows.

I think option b) is the option which gives you best comfort and overview.

If you save the workspace then also the window sizes and positions of the two windows will be saved.
After rebooting and opening TM FX the two windows should be shown as before in the last session.

I think this would be a perfect setup for you if it also fits budget wise.

Should the FF800 fail, then you have automatically a higher port capacity and more options with the UFX II.

Features like: Autoset, DURec, RoomEQ and crossfeed are also available with the UFX II.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

A Fireface 800 has a lot of channels.
One ADAT optical connection allows sending of 8 channels at single speed (44.1/48),
4 channels at double speed (88.2/96 kHz) due to channel multiplexing.

If you want to use more than the 8 analog channels of your FF800, maybe also the Mic Inputs in the front and the phones output, then you might want to look for another recording interface. The UCX II has only 1x ADAT I/O.

Then you should definitively look at the UFX II which is equal in quality and features to the UFX III.
The only difference is that it does not support MADI (additional 64 channel via multimode fiber cable).

It is also more equal to your FF800 in terms of rack format.

Using the FF800 as preamp and AD/DA converter via ADAT is easy to achieve and you do not necessarily operate the FF800 in standalone more. I would keep it connected via Thunderbolt and Firewire adapter as confirmed by hselters, that it is still possible to connect it this way.

Then you can operate the FF800 still perfectly using driver settings and TotalMix FX.

In the DAW/application you would use the UFX II and access the channels of the FF800 (as preamp/ad/da converter).

When working with TotalMix FX you have two choices
a) to switch between the two recording interfaces in one TM FX Window
    and to select the interface in the pulldown menue in the upper right
b) to open another instance of TM FX and to select UFX II in one and FF800 in the other windows.

I think option b) is the option which gives you best comfort and overview.

If you save the workspace then also the window sizes and positions of the two windows will be saved.
After rebooting and opening TM FX the two windows should be shown as before in the last session.

I think this would be a perfect setup for you if it also fits budget wise.

Should the FF800 fail, then you have automatically a higher port capacity and more options with the UFX II.

Features like: Autoset, DURec, RoomEQ and crossfeed are also available with the UFX II.

Thanks Ramses for your very good explanation!

You're welcome, ggietman. As you start a new setup, maybe these two blog articles are useful for you:

For documentation:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … tup-en-de/

For saving the settings:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ent … nd-backup/

13 (edited by Kubrak Yesterday 18:51:58)

ggietman wrote:

...., so I go for the UCX II. I think I can use that Audio Interface also ' mobile'. Then I can I record my piano, which is in another room.

Small note. UCX II is easily movable, but not, strictly said, mobile. It is not powered by USB. One has to use power adapter, or external battery pack. With use of external battery pack one may call it mobile.

If you prefer mobile, USB powered solution, Babyface Pro FS may be good choise. Depending on how many i/o you need. As mentioned earlier by others, you could use your FF800 to add up to 8/8 (at 44/48 kHz) i/o to BF Pro FS (for non-mobile use).

14 (edited by ramses Yesterday 19:04:04)

Sorry, but I think your comment misses the point somewhat.

He never mentioned wanting a mobile interface. His current FF800 is far from portable, too.
He said he wanted a UCX II and considered using the FF800 in standalone mode.
I pointed out that the FF800 has more than 8 channels, making the UFX II a more practical choice.
With its two ADAT ports, he could use all the FF800’s analog channels if he wanted.