Topic: ADI-QS MADI option question (urgent, about to purchase)

Is this configuration possible with the ADI-QS using the MADI option?

MADI PCIe -> ADI QS analog outputs (sound from my DAW)
ADI QS AES/EBU inputs -> MADI PCIe (sound about to be recorded in my DAW)

What I am asking is two things:

-Is it possible to send audio from my PC via the MADI PCIe to the ADI QS' analog outputs while using the ADI QS AES/EBU inputs for sending back to my PC via the MADI PCIe card?

-Also, in this case, could the AES/EBU output also output the same signals as the analog output. Kind of the same signals being output on the analog and digital at the same time?

We tried this in the store but could not figure out how, so I had to put my purchase on hold. Hoping for an answer soon smile

Re: ADI-QS MADI option question (urgent, about to purchase)

blackcom wrote:

-Is it possible to send audio from my PC via the MADI PCIe to the ADI QS' analog outputs while using the ADI QS AES/EBU inputs for sending back to my PC via the MADI PCIe card?

No, you can only choose one digital input source at a time. The analog input would work, though.

-Also, in this case, could the AES/EBU output also output the same signals as the analog output. Kind of the same signals being output on the analog and digital at the same time?

This will work, in the "DIG" setting of the input switch.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, so if I understand you right, this is what I CAN do with the ADI QS+MADI option:

PCIe MADI -> ADI QS analog out/digital out -> sound from DAW (same sound from both digital and analog)
Sound from micpreamps -> ADI QS analog input -> PCIe MADI -> record this sound in my DAW.

?

So you want to convert MADI input simulaneously into analogue AND AES/EBU?
AND simultaneously
convert analogue to MADI?

I think the AES/EBU output will recflect the analogue input, not the MADI input.

Can you give an application example?

Regards,
Ulrich

Yes!

ADI QS connected to PC using MADI option and MADI PCIe.
I want the setup to play back tracks from my DAW and record new ones into my DAW using my microphone preamps.
This is what I want to do:

Digital out 1-2 -> monitoring controller
Analog out 3-4 -> Headphone preamplifier cue mix
Analog in 1-8 -> microphone preamps

Woulden't that "DIG" input setting allow this?

blackcom wrote:

What is this monitoring controller? Why not use the excellent DA of the QS and go analog to your monitor controller?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

7 (edited by blackcom 2009-04-07 00:01:52)

Jeff wrote:
blackcom wrote:

What is this monitoring controller? Why not use the excellent DA of the QS and go analog to your monitor controller?

The monitoring controller is a Grace m904, btw...very good DA, fits my subjective taste better, so i'll use the DA in the Grace904.

Now, back to the topic...? smile

Is the setup I want possible?

I'll have to re-read the manual but I think the DIG setting is global (digital input to digital output), if so it won't work for your setup...

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_downloads_manuals.php

EDIT:

The key DIGITAL INPUT defines the signal source of the DA converters. This is also true for the mode Digital to Digital, where the chosen digital input signal is sent directly to the digital outputs.

In standard operation the AES outputs carry the converted analog input signal. When activating the option Digital to Digital in the Setup menu the currently chosen digital input data is present at the outputs instead, see chapter 9.15.

Seems like your MADI input is sent to MADI out and AES out when set to DIG. So your analog inputs do not go to MADI out afaik. Please correct me if this is wrong.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ok.
But how about the mixtacy's AES/EBU output. Can I go PCIe MADI -> Mixtacy AES/EBU out and just use the ADI QS for analog in/out pluss having an aditional 8 inputs from the Mixtacy?

10 (edited by Ulrich 2009-04-07 07:07:32)

Jeff wrote:

I'll have to re-read the manual but I think the DIG setting is global (digital input to digital output), if so it won't work for your setup...

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_downloads_manuals.php

EDIT:

The key DIGITAL INPUT defines the signal source of the DA converters. This is also true for the mode Digital to Digital, where the chosen digital input signal is sent directly to the digital outputs.

In standard operation the AES outputs carry the converted analog input signal. When activating the option Digital to Digital in the Setup menu the currently chosen digital input data is present at the outputs instead, see chapter 9.15.

Seems like your MADI input is sent to MADI out and AES out when set to DIG. So your analog inputs do not go to MADI out afaik. Please correct me if this is wrong.

After reading this description I am also convinced that the MADI output of the QS will not reflect the analogue input when "digital to digital" is active. It's the same principle behaviour of the whole ADI-8 family, I think.

Regards,
Ulrich

Ulrich wrote:

After reading this description I am also convinced that the MADI output of the QS will not reflect the analogue input when "digital to digital" is active. It's the same principle behaviour of the whole ADI-8 family, I think.

Correct. The manual states it clearly - the "DIG" input setting decativates AD conversion.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok, so today I went out at bought a RME MADI PCIe, ADI QS and a Mixtacy.
Since the M-32 AD is not available yet i'm borrowing a ADI 642 wich i'm using with some preamps with digital outs...just so I have enough channels to record drums. 

The ADI 642 is first in the MADI chain and right now I also use this unit to feed my monitoring system with a digital signal. I found out that I don't need to have the rest of the units in theMADI chain turned on for this to work. Very practical.

Later when I get an AES/EBU break out cable for my Mixtacy I plan to have the Mixtacy first in the MADI chain and use the Mixtacy to feed my monitoring with an AES/EBU signal instead. Can I turn off the other units in the MADI chain and still have working AES/EBU outputs with the Mixtacy too, as long as I put it first in the MADI chain?

The signal path is MADI card out to Micstasy In. Obviously other units do not interfere this way.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanx!