Topic: x58/corei7 motherboard recommandation for an Fireface400/800.

Hi,

I thinking on upgrading my 9550 quad core system/HDSP to Core7/Fireface400.

Is there any official recommendation motherboard list exist from RME ?

Also I would be happy to read user opinions about mobos.

My options reduced to Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME or Asus P6T/or P6T deluxe.

They are work with Firefaces without ANY problem ?

Any opinions, experiences would be great to share.

Thanks in advance,
Pubem

Re: x58/corei7 motherboard recommandation for an Fireface400/800.

I heard the Fireface could have issues with the Firewire VIA chipset included in the ASUS P6T line.
I'm also looking for the perfect motherboard.

The Gigabyte seems great (and with Texas Instruments Firewire chipset) but there is an issue with high pitch noise. Not that great for a daw...

Sight...

RME Babyface Pro FS (previously: Multiface, Fireface 800, Babyface, Babyface Pro)

Using a Gigabyte EX58-UD4 here (same family as Extreme, just has more PCI slots), F8 bios, w/ i7 920 and 9 GB RAM - Win 7 x64.
Not using onboard FW for my 2 FF800s - using PCIE FW800 card.
Also: 1 x UAD2 Duo PCIE and 3 x UAD1 PCI.
Graphics: ATI HD4550 - silent.
No problems with high pitch noise etc - all power saving options turned off in Bios.
Works fantastic - rock solid - couldn't be happier.

I read on some forums that Gigabyte users succeeded to stop the high pitch noise by disabling the CE1 function in the BIOS.
But some of them we reporting that the noise was still there but really quietly.

Well I didn't take the risk to have this problem with Gigabyte motherboard and the Asus ones has no Texas Instruments chipset anymore for FW.

I just ordered a EVGA X58 SLI LE and I hope that it will be the right choice for my brand new DAW. Will keep you posted.

RME Babyface Pro FS (previously: Multiface, Fireface 800, Babyface, Babyface Pro)