1 (edited by fas1piano 2009-07-01 08:43:25)

Topic: multiface pcmcia cardbus and thinkpad t60: don't update t60 BIOS!

**EDIT: Prolem solved! It had nothing to do with BIOS flashing. An Ethernet driver update was the culprit. See post below.**

i updated my thinkpad t60 with the software update tool provided by lenovo. this includes a BIOS update (BIOS flash).

BAD IDEA!

i did this before with the multiface pcmcia card inserted - afterwards i got constant dropouts. only way to solve the problem was to reinstall windows XP! [ see here: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1778 ]

now, this time, i did a BIOS  update without the pcmcia card inserted - i thought that should be safe. The same thing happened! constant dropouts since then. A Multiface driver update does not solve the problem. so  i will have to do a complete system reinstall again (great, all my vst are C/R, i am in for two nights at home doing the C/R thing).

so: do not ever update your BIOS on a thinkpad t60 if you want to keep a working multiface driver!

Re: multiface pcmcia cardbus and thinkpad t60: don't update t60 BIOS!

I expect the software update tool to also install some useless and unneeded software, or drivers, which you may have been overlooking. This is the only explanation for the need of a Windows reinstall, but not going back to the old BIOS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

thanks Matthias, i indeed installed all "recommended" updates. i'll try and see if i can check this with DPC.

4 (edited by fas1piano 2009-07-01 08:44:21)

I solved the problem.

It was indeed a faulty driver update that caused it. Nothing to do with BIOS flashing.

DPC Checker showed nothing wrong, but by deactivating various devices in device manager i finally found that the Intel Pro 100 LAN card caused the problem. So i went back to an older driver fot this device (by finding the older version number on the lenovo site and then googling for it) and now everything is ok, even with ethernet on.

Thanks to RME for great support!

Many thanks for your post!!! I just was also working on my T60 - with huge problems in the end. Obviously caused by this "faulty" driver.

BUT: As I did a clean install of Windows XP, I didn't want to leave it with an "old" driver. So I needed some trys to find out that installing SP3 helps. There must be included some OS fix which makes also the newest driver of the Pro/1000 work.

Good luck - if you dare to try ;-)

Martin

I experienced problems with T60 and PCMCIA too. This is not a RME problem, I have problems with my INDIGO too. Problem comes from the Network driver. In my case I have to deactivate the Intel Pro 1000 an all is working. Mic