Topic: MADI and AES-32 card order

Hello

Is there a way to force the AES-32 to be the (1) card and the MADI to be (2)card?

I am trying to set them so Nuendo will reconize the AES ports 1-16 before the MADI 1-64 ports. If I can make the AES card first then when I switch between 48k and 96k the port asignments in the DAW will not shift as the MADI ports go into SMUX and provide only 1-32 ports. The AES-32 remains 16 ins and outs at either sample rate.

I have a MADI and AES-32 card. I have changed slots, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, installing the AES-32 card first. But once both cards are properly working the MADI card defaults as the (1) card.

running
driver v3.0.5.3
Firmware 205 233

Any ideas or tricks?
thank you
Jim Fox

Win7x64.Nuendo.Samplitude.AES32 PCIe.MADI PCI.ADI 648.Apogee Big Ben.DM2000.Apogee 16XAD.RME ADI 8s

Re: MADI and AES-32 card order

Hello

How do you tell your RME driver which card comes first?

Mine defaults to MADI (1) and AES-32 (2).
I need to make it AES-32 (1), MADI (2)

Thanks
Fox

Win7x64.Nuendo.Samplitude.AES32 PCIe.MADI PCI.ADI 648.Apogee Big Ben.DM2000.Apogee 16XAD.RME ADI 8s

The order is determined at boot time and should change when you swap the cards. The driver does not include routines to change the order.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

The order is determined at boot time and should change when you swap the cards. The driver does not include routines to change the order.

Hello MC, thank you for looking in to this.

The order does not change when you swap pci slots anymore. It did with the older driver and firmware.

I had v2.521 drivers with MADI 204 and AES-32 231
upgraded to v3.053 with 205 233

Can I re-install the old ones? Is it the firmware or driver that changed the way it works? or would an earlier v3.x version let you swap slots to change order?

thanks again for your help,
Jim Fox

Hello,

a driver changing this behaviour will not be available shortly. I also can't believe that the new driver changes the behaviour of Windows. The boot order determines Windows recognition of the cards, and that order places them in our driver. So swapping the cards must work. It might be that you missed one complete (cold) reboot after driver re-installation when trying this. Not only in ASIO, also in Windows (WDM devices) the order will change.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Hello,

a driver changing this behaviour will not be available shortly. I also can't believe that the new driver changes the behaviour of Windows. The boot order determines Windows recognition of the cards, and that order places them in our driver. So swapping the cards must work. It might be that you missed one complete (cold) reboot after driver re-installation when trying this. Not only in ASIO, also in Windows (WDM devices) the order will change.

MC, thanks again for your help. Yes, well, I can't believe it either. I did start from a cold boot (as in, remove the power cord) each time I tried the different combinations of swaping and/or driver installation. Each time the MADI shows up as device (1), AES-32 as device (2), in the driver DSP settings. FYI.

Unrelated? For no specific reason I did update the firmware 205 in the MADI card first.

Jim Fox

7 (edited by Jim Fox 2007-11-09 01:37:46)

Hello

OK the problem is worse than I thought.

Windows>Control Panel>Sound and Audio devices

Does not see the AES-32 at all. It only see the 64 channels of the MADI card. It did see the AES channels before the update as I use AES channels 1&2 for all my 2 mix monitoring, and 3-8 for all 5.1 mix monitoring

The DSP settings see both cards. Nuendo and Samplitude see both cards.
WaveLab and Windows do not see the AES-32 card.

Now what do I do?

regards
Jim Fox

That is totally normal - XP WDM device number limit. Reduce the number of available WDM devices in the MADI settings dialog, reboot, and the AES WDM devices will be back. Then send whatever you like to Redmond...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

That is totally normal - XP WDM device number limit. Reduce the number of available WDM devices in the MADI settings dialog, reboot, and the AES WDM devices will be back. Then send whatever you like to Redmond...

Great, that did it. I reduced the the device limit from 32 (default) to 28. Now AES-32 channels 1-8 become available in Windows control pannel. It is working for me now. Though, I don't understand the Theory of Operation yet.

I assume if we can figure out how to get the AES-32 card to boot first, it would also show up first in the Windows Audio devices. Would be nice.

Thank you
Regards
Jim Fox

MC wrote:

Hello,

I can verify that it does work to swap the cards if using a newer 13 slot Magma. On my system, depending on the slot used, the AES I/O will either show up before or after the MADI I/O in Cubase 4.1, though the AES 32 interface will still show up as card 2 in the RME control panel.

HDSPe MADI-FX, M-32 AD, M-32 DA, ADI-8 QS, ADI 192 DD, ADI 648, Mytek Stereo 96 AD/DA

Maybe here is Jim Fox' error: after swapping the cards he started Nuendo and saw the same as before - but he would have to click the Reset button in the Input/Output lists to see the new order.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Is there a solution to this problem when both a PCI MADI and PCIe RAYDAT card are being used?

The motherboard's PCI slots are the last 2 slots, and the rest are PCIe.  The PCI MADI card is card #1 and the PCIe RAYDAT card is card #2. 

The need is for Wavelab to use the optical ports on the RAYDAT card, but they are not available at all under ASIO.  I'd prefer to use ASIO....