Topic: Problem with a recorded session with DIGICheck 5.21/5.22

Hi there!

I've recorded a 9:22:00 (HH:MM:ss) session (9 hours approx) with digicheck, and I'm left with 64 4,7GB wav files. They were recorded 48k/24bit, and was split into single tracks/files.

My problem now is that the files won't open in any other program than digicheck. Is there a way to split the files into different smaller files, so that I can open them in my favorite DAW editing tool?

I was stupid enough to not leave the recording in one multichannel file, so if I'd open one file in digicheck, and then record the output from digicheck into an input on another computer or even the same computer, but another interface, I'd have to do this 64 times, and I have to stop all single files at the exact same time, in order to "split" them correctly, and to use them in another program.

Any suggestions? I've already tried to combine/multiplex the single files into one multichannel file, but there are no applications that support this type of wave files digicheck produces.

What I should have done is record everything into one multichannel file, and stop the recording after each session, so that the single channel files would not be larger than 2(or 4?) GB.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Sincerely,

J?rgen Vigdal.

Re: Problem with a recorded session with DIGICheck 5.21/5.22

I forgot to mention that I use the RME MADIface with Expresscard on my 17" Macbook Pro, 2,8GHz with Windows XP SP3 using Boot Camp.

You forgot to mention which programs do not read the RIFF64 files (sometimes also referred to as Broadcast wave). Reaper will not do it, it supports wav64 only, but Samplitude, Sequoia, WaveLab, Cubase and Nuendo will do. And some others for sure too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

4 (edited by jorgenv 2009-09-28 11:57:05)

Hi Matthias!

Thank you for your fast answer. When I'm trying to open the files (in Windows) I've tried Cubase Studio 4, Samplitude, and WaveLab 5, an none of them work. All of them tells me that "This is not a supported wave file".

In Mac OS X, I've tried Cubase Studio 4, Logic Pro 9, WavePad, and a lot of other small apps, including Audacity. They reports that "This file is not supported".

I've also tried Peak Pro 4.1.1, and Peak is the only program that can tell me that this is a 48k/24bit mono wav file (in the open dialog, you have a preview pane that tells me what kind of file it is).

When a single file (because it can not load multiple files) loads in Peak Pro, it runs for 1-2 minutes before I get an error message (-40) from Peak telling me that there is something wrong with the wave.

I have tried some of the other wave files from the recording, and none of them work. I did a recording for 3 days. The first day went fine, and the single files loads perfectly in any editor (they are 1,2GB each), the second day, the files is 4,97GB each, and the third day, the files are 4,94GB each.

Is the files possible corrupted? I think not, because DIGICheck will load them. Do you have any idea how I can make these files work in another editor? I have access to a lot of equipment, so feel free to make any suggestions without bothering if I have the equipment or not.

Thanks in advance!

Try this post #9
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4860

or look at this posting at Nuendo forum here
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=21128

scroll down to the last posting from Grag38

w64 works in Cubase/Nuendo and more apps
rf64 works in WaveLab, Pyramix and more

backup before trying :-)

regards S-EH

Hi!

I've seen those forum posts too, and tried all their options, none with success sad

I know that this can only be seen as workaround - but it might help you recover your sessions... You can use DC to play its own recording back and "rerecord" the individual tracks in any software of your choice using the loopback function of your RME card...

I remember doing that in an early DCRecord-Beta-version-time after my recording was corrupted somehow too, but I've never encountered such problems for a very long time since...

Best,
laex

DC rules!

laex, thank you for your suggestion!

I've thought about that too, but as I mention in my first post, this will be 9 hours x 128 tracks (2 days x 64 tracks), and is 1152 hours I have to spend on doing this, because DIGICheck will not load multiple "single" files on each track. I have also tried to merge the split tracks into one multichannel (to at least spend 18 hours on it) file without success, because no program will read the files.

-jV-

Matthias: Perhaps a suggestion to a feature in DIGICheck will be that if you select 64 single channel files, they will appear on each track in the program, so that if you f#" up when choosing to export to single channel files and they become too large, you can re-record them from digicheck to another program by loading them all into digicheck and play them at once?

Thanks in advance!

(sorry, I didn't read your initial post carefully enough...)

DC rules!

Hmmm, I will first check again that DC will write correct RIFF64 files at such a size. Then come back here...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for helping me out here, very much appreciated!

So I did a 12 hour recording and saved the recording as multichannel, stereo and single channel (mono) files. Then I started Samplitude 10, Load Wave, and selected those files. They all loaded without any problem and can be played back too.

If you start Samplitude and hit the W key, then navigate to any of your single channel files, what does it say in the file info box? Here it says:

RIFF64
PCM
48000, 24 Bit, Mono, 1152 kBit/s

Length: 12 hours
File Size: 6.0 GB

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias!

I downloaded a trial version of Samplitude version 14, and the files will load there. I also used a program called wav2wav64 created by a french guy over at the nuendo forums. This app makes the files readable with audacity too. I have not tried any other apps, but are very happy they actually work now.

Is there a way to merge the RIFF64 files into one multichannel file so that it can be loaded in DIGICheck with all channels playing output to the MADI interface? (so that I can re-record a tracking)

My last wish is to get these files working with Logic Pro 9.1, which I'm using regularily (so that I can cut the tracks into shorter tracks) Unfortunately, they will not load, thus Apple says they have BWF support.

The reason I want to cut the files into smaller chunks is because only parts of the files goes to different artists, and I do not want so send it all to all artists (but that would have been much easier).

Thanks all for your time guys, and especially your help Matthias!

Hopefully, there exist a solution for my last issue too.

Thanks.

REAPER 5.01 will have RF64 read/write support: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=164920