Topic: I need some help with routing! (Fireface UC)

I have been reading the section in the manual titled "Recording a Subgroup (Loopback)" - Chapter 31.5.

I am trying to figure out how to route my playback output into an input channel for recording.

I have read this section of the manual about twenty times and I still cannot understand it.

I have got as far as "click on the white label in the third row while holding down the control key" (p.72) ... however the manual at this point digresses into a theoretical discussion with no further instructions... or have I missed something?

Does anyone here relate to what I am saying? I am not an expert ... please forgive me, but this manual does not give a clear step by step explanation of how to do ... anything!

The manual reads more like an essay ..?

I need a step by step guide ... eg. first click here, then choose this menu option etc... Does such a guide exist?

Apologies for my poor grasp of this material - I don't have a degree in audio engineering.

(: Hereward

Re: I need some help with routing! (Fireface UC)

That's all there is to it. When you CTRL-click the output label, it turns red. This indicates loopback is activated. You will not see the input level in TotalMix, but the loopback signal is available to software. Try it.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

doh! i just grasped that (: thanks.

I am having the same problem.  I can't figure out loopback.  If I click on the output label, I still see the input routed to the input in my DAW (Ableton).
I cant see how to re-route the signal.  The documentation implies that anything can be routed anywhere in Totalmix, which of course would be great.

Any help greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

You read the manual and are sure your card supports this feature?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias,

Yes, I read the manual but I seem to having problems grasping it....ed:
I am using a Fireface400, which I absolutely love, by the way.

The reason I got interested in using the feature is that I have started to play in online collaborations and I would like to be able to use my DAW and the internet software at the same time - so what I am trying to figure out is how to route audio from Ableton to the other software - which means I need to have multi client configuration, but I also am assuming I will need to use the loopback feature to be able to route hardware inputs and DAW outputs to the internet software.

The software authors (it is called ejamming) do not have a solution for this as yet, but I am wondering if, because of its flexible routing, the FF400 with Totalmix will be able to implement it.

Best,
Chris