1 (edited by Terry Gorle 2009-12-17 08:33:04)

Topic: HDSPe MADI w/Micstasy - line output question

I'm running a triple boot of XP Pro, Vista 32, and Win7 64 with an HDSP9652, HDSPe, and Micstasy M.

The HDSPe default line out uses channels 63/64 in TotalMix.  That's fine in Vista and Win7, but XP will only "see" 38 channels from my MADI card in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" of Control Panel (Although it sees all the HDSP9652 channels... I realize this may be a limitation of the WDM in XP).  XP apparently allows 64 total inputs max (all 26 from HDSP9652 and the first 38 from HDSPe MADI).

My question is:  Can I reassign the default Line Output of the HDSPe MADI via TotalMix to something XP will see (channels 31/32 for example)?

I'd like to use the HDSPe line output as my default in all three OSs and when switching between Cubase/Nuendo/Audition/Vegas.  I'm constantly needing to reassign outputs when opening saved project files from another OS, as well as needing to go through an external D/A conversion via S/PDIF from my HDSP9652 to a mixer on the way to my speakers whenever I use XP.

BTW, I love the Micstasy!
I really wish it had an option to send the MADI IN to the analog outputs.  (That would solve my problem too! :-)

Thanks,
Terry

TotalMix Skins:
http://www.heirapparent.com/totalmix.htm

Re: HDSPe MADI w/Micstasy - line output question

Terry Gorle wrote:

The HDSPe default line out uses channels 63/64 in TotalMix.  That's fine in Vista and Win7, but XP will only "see" 32 channels from my MADI card in the "Sounds and Audio Devices" of Control Panel (Although it sees all the HDSP9652 channels... I realize this may be a limitation of the WDM in XP).

'tis indeed, and assuming that your audio software is likely to use ASIO, this shouldn't really affect operation IMHO.

My question is:  Can I reassign the default Line Output of the HDSPe MADI via TotalMix to something XP will see (channels 31/32 for example)?

No, but you could reroute.

I'd like to use the HDSPe line output as my default in all three OSs and when switching between Cubase/Nuendo/Audition/Vegas.  I'm constantly needing to reassign outputs when opening saved project files from another OS, as well as needing to go through an external D/A conversion via S/PDIF from my HDSP9652 to a mixer on the way to my speakers whenever I use XP.

Not sure why you'd need to reassign here. None of these programs bother much about the Windows default setting, dothey?

I really wish it had an option to send the MADI IN to the analog outputs.

Well, there's no DA conversion. You could hook up a DAC to ADAT or AES/EBU, though.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Terry Gorle 2009-12-17 07:31:27)

RME Support wrote:

'tis indeed, and assuming that your audio software is likely to use ASIO, this shouldn't really affect operation IMHO...

Not sure why you'd need to reassign here. None of these programs bother much about the Windows default setting, dothey?

Thanks for your comments Dan.

Adobe Audition 3 won't let me select ASIO Hammerfall DSP... it sees it, but it says "the device is not installed" and forces me to use the "Audition 3.0 Windows Sound".  There I can only select emulations of the MADI or HDSP9652 that Windows' Sound and Audio Devices will see... that's another stumbling block.

I've told all my programs (and Windows) to use MADI 1&2 for output, then rerouted TotalMix to send 1&2 to 63&64 so the HDSPe MADI Line Out can feed my speakers in all OS's. (easy solution... should have thought of it earlier)

Any ideas on how I can get Audition to let me use the ASIO Hammerfall DSP?
I swear I've been able to use it in the past with older drivers (ASIO DIGI96, HDSP9652), and before I installed the HDSPe MADI.

BTW, the ASIO Hammerfall DSP unavailability is happening in Vista and Win7 as well with Audition 3, and I'm always running the newest RME drivers I'm aware of, currently 3.082.

(I've uninstalled/reinstalled Audition in all OS's, but no difference)

Thanks,
Terry

TotalMix Skins:

You can limit the number of WDM devices in the 9652 and MADI card's settings dialog. Reboot, then all cards are accessible.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by Terry Gorle 2009-12-17 09:30:46)

Thanks Matthias.

Just set to 1 WDM on each card... rebooted.   

Windows only saw one stereo pair input from each card....  but pulsing stutter on playback.
Audition still didn't recognize ASIO Hammerfall DSP.

I think you might have misunderstood me.  I didn't have a problem with Windows seeing the cards, just XP being limited to seeing 64 inputs of my 90 available.  I was hoping your suggestion would reset Audition to see the Hammerfall DSP driver, but it didn't.

Reset to 13 & 32 WDM devices, and playback is normal again.

The only thing I haven't done since installing the new card is to engage "Interleaved"...
Strange that Windows only allows ADAT 1&2 from my HDSP9652 to be "configured" for the WDM stereo / 5.1 / 7.1 surround modes, regardless of which inputs are designated as defaults.

TotalMix Skins:

Terry Gorle wrote:

I was hoping your suggestion would reset Audition to see the Hammerfall DSP driver

Me too :-(

Terry Gorle wrote:

Strange that Windows only allows ADAT 1&2 from my HDSP9652 to be "configured" for the WDM stereo / 5.1 / 7.1 surround modes, regardless of which inputs are designated as defaults.

That's by design. Just use TotalMix if you want to have the signals on different outputs.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME