Topic: Choosing hardware - looking for advice

Hi Folks,
Happy holidays! I'm new to RME forum & don't own an RME product. I'm currently using Motu 896mk3 (1394a). I'm a film composer & I'm looking towards upgrading my harware. I've heard lot of great things about RME, especially their outstanding Windows support.

I typically use a lot of virtual instruments along with some live ones. I record only one live instrument at a time due to my studio space limitations.

With my current setup, on a typical project of 30 tracks, I can get as low as 20ms during composing & once I start mixing, the latency goes a high as 40-50 ms. I have a quad Q6600 with 4GB RAM currently running Vista 32.

My biggest problem with this setup has been latency and clicks & pops (unless I freeze all synths). I'm looking for a professional grade high fidelity hardware, atleast 48KHz, 24bit, internal or external, which will let me stay at < 20 ms latency. First of all, is that possible, or should I look for offloading my virtual instruments onto a second machine? I prefer to keep the synth tracks unfrozen in case I need to make changes.

I looked at all the products on RME's website, I got more confused:-) .  Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need more info.

Thanks,
Kal

Re: Choosing hardware - looking for advice

So you don't need many I/Os, what about the AIO card then?
Or do you really need an external interface like the Fireface (Firewire or USB) with preamps built in? Maybe the new Fireface UC maybe a safe solution for you.
The click and pop problem maybe also related with your workstation setup or your DAW software.

Regards,
Ulrich

Thanks for the response Ulrich. The AIO card seems to be a good route. Can this card be used with my existing interface (digital / ADAT I/O to the interface) without compromising quality. Or will I need an external AD/DA converter to connect my monitors? I want to avoid USB or Firewire to get a reasonably low latency.

I have firewire interface with TI chipset but it is still a hit or miss with respect to latency, esp. when I add a few orchestral and/or DSP plugins. 
Thanks,
Kal

lightningmusic wrote:

Can this card be used with my existing interface (digital / ADAT I/O to the interface) without compromising quality. Or will I need an external AD/DA converter to connect my monitors? I want to avoid USB or Firewire to get a reasonably low latency.

I have firewire interface with TI chipset but it is still a hit or miss with respect to latency, esp. when I add a few orchestral and/or DSP plugins.

Yes, that's what digital I/Os are for... For example you can connect your Motu to the ADAT I/Os, so you get 8 further analog I/Os, in addition to the analog I/Os of the AIO card itself.

I understand your concerns about Firewire boxes. However, the new Fireface UC (USB) seems to obtain excellent results with modern computer mainboards. Maybe still worth a try.

And your general windows setup and your DAW software may still cause problems on their own, regardless of the interface. Wich DAW software do you use?

Regards,
Ulrich