Topic: FF800 mic input protection

I had an unfortunate accident with my FF800 card on the location recording. One of the mic inputs was killed. It looks like somebody has stepped on the cable and shorted the phantom power to ground thus destroing the internal preamp IC.
Why don't you guys implement the IC protection from phantom power? It's cheap (we're talking about 4 diodes and a couple of resistors there) and it can save a user a small fortune: I now have to source the 1510 ICs (not an easy task in Russia) and until then I'll have only 3 mic inputs working (((

Re: FF800 mic input protection

If you already openend the unit to see the 1510 ICs then you should have noticed the '4 diodes and a couple of resistors' too. That said there is no 100% protection, every fuse can fail.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: FF800 mic input protection

Matthias,

You're right, I missed the protection diodes, sorry... I've tested the input with a dynamic mic though and everything works perfectly (even with phantom turned on). However once I plug in a condencer mic it stops working and makes a constant loud noise. I suspect that one of the diodes failed. What do you think?