1 (edited by ave 2009-12-15 16:13:10)

Topic: two FF800s together + ADI-8QS + 8ch pre via ADAT - how?

Hello to all,

I'm going to do my first recording using two FF800 and other stuff! A lot of channels! And a lot of doubts!

My current setup is:

ADI-8QS (master) -ADAT1-> FF800 I (slave) -FW800-> WIN XP

Now, it's going to be:

ADI-8QS (master) -ADAT1-> FF800 I
8CH PRE (slave to WC from ADI?) -ADAT2-> FF800 I
FF800 I -FW800-> FF800 II
FF800 I -FW800-> WIN XP

On my original setup, FF800 can slave to ADI-8QS thru ADAT1, no need to use wordclock - that's how Mr.Matthias instructed me, even sending ADAT back to ADI for monitoring.

I believe the best is to keep ADI-8QS as master (better clock?). Now, monitoring will be thru FF800 I.

For this new setup, do I need to conect wordclock from ADI (master) to 8CH PRE (slave)?

Thanks for any suggestion and/or help!

all the best,

Re: two FF800s together + ADI-8QS + 8ch pre via ADAT - how?

It doesn't matter if the FF800 I or the ADI-8 is master.

The 8 CH Pre should get the Word signal from the device where it is connected to, the FF 800 I.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you so much, Mr. Matthias!

all the best,
ave.

Hello,

It was not so easy... Here's the follow up of what happened.

I really believe that RME should write a FAQ/tutorial about putting multiple FF800s together!

As I said, the setup was two FF800s, ADI-8QS AD (ADAT) & 8ch preamp+AD (ADAT). It was a 33 channel recording.

The most strange thing is that the driver (?) sets by itself which unit is going to be FF I and FF II, no matter how you connect them... this was new for me (ok, I'm novice).

Or am I missing something? Is there any way to define who is I, II, III?

It was not entirely clear for me if the 2nd FF would need WORDCLOCK, as it was connected by FW800 - yes, it needed (again - ok, I'm novice).

So the final setup (trial and error) was:

- ADI-8QS as MASTER/48kHz, sends ADAT to FF I;
- FF I sends WORDCLOCK to 8ch preamp, receives it by ADAT2;
- 8ch preamp sends WORDCLOCK to FF II;
- FF II is connected to FF I by FW800;
- FF I is connected to ExpressCard/34 by FW800.

By precaution, I used the latest FF800 driver on Win XP SP3/32; and put the same (also latest) firmware on both FFs. (is this really needed?)

During this setup I found that an ExpressCard/34 that worked flawless on a computer can not work good on another.

I used a Sonnet (T.I.) during long time on my previous notebook (HP) and it was rock-solid. This same card made my current one (Clevo i7) totally sluggish, a lot of errors-per-second on FF's control panel, almost freezing DIGIcheck...

I changed for APIOTEK (cheaper, was my backup, also T.I.) and it worked nicely?! Really strange...

The last 'problem' was that in the middle of the session (on the begining), the settings for FF2 'changed' by itself... it made the setup click a lot (clocking issues) but that take was not destroyed !? And it did not happen again.

Thanks for the attention. I put my questions and requests in bold.

I really like RME, and I'm looking forward to go MADI (HDSPe MADIface) and get the new 32ch AD.

all the best,
ave.

PS: please don't drop support for Win XP/32!

Hello!

Happy new year to all!

Concerning this issue as described, I still have these questions:

ave wrote:

(1) I really believe that RME should write a [complete] FAQ/tutorial about putting multiple FF800s together!

As I said, the setup was two FF800s, ADI-8QS AD (ADAT) & 8ch preamp+AD (ADAT). It was a 33 channel recording.

(2) The most strange thing is that the driver [panel] (?) sets by itself which unit is going to be FF I and FF II, no matter how you connect them... this was new for me (ok, I'm novice). Or am I missing something? Is there any way to define who is I, II, III?

(3) It was not entirely clear for me if the 2nd FF would need WORDCLOCK, as it was connected by FW800 - yes, it needed (again - ok, I'm novice).[So Firewire connection is not enough to sync?]

(...)

(4) By precaution, I used the latest FF800 driver on Win XP SP3/32; and put the same (also latest) firmware on both FFs. (is this really needed?)

(...)

(5) PS: please don't drop support for Win XP/32!

Thanks for helping.

all the best,
ave.

Hi ave,

1) RME Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oibj81QIq4s

2) This identification is not user assignable.

3) External sync is required, the firewire connection is not enough.

4) Yes, of course. Updated drivers require updated firmware.

5) No plans to drop XP anytime soon, I'm sure.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you so much Jeff!

all the best,
ave.