1 (edited by sparky 2010-01-07 02:21:55)

Topic: FF400 and "one legged" issues?

Hi,

A bit of a weird one - I am experiencing some difficulty with one of my compressors and I'm troubleshooting by checking each part of my signal chain and wanted to eliminate the Fireface as the potential problem....

I recently acquired a Drawmer 1968ME which has balanced XLR inputs and outputs and connected this to my Fireface 400 via balanced TRS to XLR cables.  When audio passes through the compressor when it is switched off it has no problems - there is no loss of signal. However,  when the compressor is switched on (even in bypass mode) all bass/bottom end is lost and therefore it sounds what is commonly referred to as "one legged".  I have also conducted tone tests which confirm that there is an issue when the compressor is turned on.

I have contacted Drawmer who insist it is a cabling issue or a problem with the Fireface inputs/outputs...but I am not convinced as my other compressors with XLR ins/outs work fine with TRS-XLR cabling.  The fact that there is no loss of signal when the unit is turned off also doesn't quite explain how a cabling issue might be causing the problem.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Cheers,
Simon