Topic: Rme Fireface 400 progression

Hey everyone,ok so i've just purchased a Fireface 400 and am very pleased with it,sound is lovely and clean...have been hearing that it doesnt have much punch at the bottom end...lots of threads talking about the yamaha N12 as having a much more of a  punchy sound...i have had an Edirol ua-101 usb and a delta 1010..but sold both of them..my question is where from here?...do i need another pre-amp....compressors expanders etc...i am into writing electronic music...and dare i say the Rme doesnt seem to have enough punch without possibly external outboard gear..i use vst plugins within ableton and Fl 8 so i dont have the sound engines on outboard synths,would like to go down this route in the forseeable future....just would like to know what my possibilities are...as this is an expensive business!..Many thanks.

Re: Rme Fireface 400 progression

Hi,

the FF is certainly not designed to add "punch" or whatever to the sound... Do you want your music or your audio interface to have that "punch"? An audio device that will actually add something to the playback that is not there in the music may be deceiving, and your results may not be what you'd want or expect eventually...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

i am just wondering what external gear i really need to add with my fireface as i think this is just the first part of eventually much larger studio??

there must be a difference in using seperate hardware samplers and synths as opposed to internal vsts

the difference in hardware samplers and digital synths is mostly in the convertors and sample rate
(ie most hard digital Synth have a sample rate of 96 or higher)

in analog synths  the difference or mojo is in the saturation of the outputs and quality of the osc and filters.... mostly

in a soundcard you dont want any of these

i have only had my ff400 a couple of days but with the test i have been doing i can tell you it doesnt lose any bottom end on recording and the recording is of the utmost quality

"Punch" could be created by dynamic processing (compressor/limiter/transient designer) and distortion (valve or tape sound). The Fireface converters are absolutely neutral and do not alter, distort or change the sound of your source. I think you need a good analog compressor for your bass sounds coming out of the Fireface to get a start. Maybe also something like the SPL Transient Designer for drum sounds.

best regards
Knut