Topic: Fireface 400/Win 7 - no sound

Hi,

Just purchased a new FF400 and connected it to my computer. Downloaded the latest drivers and the latest firmware. E.g. when I set phantom power in th settings, the FF reacts. But when I set e.g. the headphones or other outputs as a Primary device, I get no sound whatsoever and e.g. Windows Media player doesn't even "go through" the audio file. It doesn't start playing at all. In Cubase the bar starts moving but no sound comes out nor any sound is displayed in the Mixer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

Re: Fireface 400/Win 7 - no sound

Please provide more details about the computer. Does the "Host" LED ever turn on?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

The HOST LED is on when I turn the sound card on but after a second or two it's off and the only LED on is the LEV.

My computer is
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
MB: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
RAM: 2x Corsair XMS2 Dominator
HDD: Samsung
Another soundcard: M-Audio Audiophile 2496

What happens when the playback stops? Still no Host LED?
Have you tested another FW cable?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

What happens when the playback stops? Still no Host LED?

There is no playback, no sound. Also no indication of sound in the mixer.

I can try observing what happens to the Host LED when I press play.

RME Support wrote:

Have you tested another FW cable?

Not yet, using the one that the sound card came with. But will get one and try.

I got a new cable but no progress

When I press play in WMP or Winamp, the Host LED doesn' do anything...

So no other suggestions?

Guess I'll have to send it back...

What Windows version are we talking about? If it's Windows 7, did you try setting the Firewire driver to "(legacy)" via Device-Manager yet?

What Firewire chipset does your computer use? The behavior you describe is exactly the same I experienced with a TI based computer when not using the legacy Firewire driver.

Timur wrote:

What Windows version are we talking about? If it's Windows 7, did you try setting the Firewire driver to "(legacy)" via Device-Manager yet?

What Firewire chipset does your computer use? The behavior you describe is exactly the same I experienced with a TI based computer when not using the legacy Firewire driver.

Yes, Windows 7 with TI chip.

Where can I get a legacy driver?

HERE

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

alexoosthoek wrote:

HERE

Yay - thank you guys very much, now I get some sound!!!!!

Horrible and corrupted sound but at least something smile

And the sound somehow improved itself, so everything's perfect now! What a relief.

Thank you everyone for support!

So obviously the new Fireface driver does not solve the non-legacy issues for (at least some) TI chipsets.

Yeah. Very annoying, spent two evenings with that...

Still have some sound issues. E.g when I open the mixer it doesn't work properly or when I have WMP running and open Cubase. It worked ok with my old sound card. I guess I have to hope for drivers' updates.

If you are using ASIO in Cubase you cannot use the same channels for another application with RME hardware (ASIO standard, but many other drivers implement a software mixer to get around that). Read up on "Interlaced" mode in the manual and make sure you don't use ASIO channels with two applications concurrently.

On the Imac 27" with TI based Firewire port and the release/sold version of Windows 7 Professional no legacy driver is needed. So very likely the RTM version of Windows *was* different to the release version or some update has been installed that fixed the problem.

I will get another 21.5" Imac in a few days and will test it again to make sure there are no hardware differences responsible for the different observations.