Topic: Problems with sound.

Sometimes the sound from different programs stop working, when i change the default output in windows it may start to work again, I've tried lots of different things but i can't get it to work right.
Anyone know what to do? I've been looking in the manual to, but I can't find anything about this. I've turned of windows sounds...

Re: Problems with sound.

More details, please... Which RME device, which driver, what kind of PC hardware, etc.?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Fireface 800, using the latest drivers i could find on the website, i have an intel P4 quad core running win 7.
The programs im having problems with mainly is winamp, VLC and google chrome. the sound may stop in VLC and winamp (usually together) and the sound in chrome can still play. but this is different every time. sometimes it helps to just route the sound to another adat. I just got my FF 800 so im a little disappointed that i can't get it to work properly hmm

What kind of mainboard and FW connection is this? Does this affect ASIO software, too?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

5 (edited by HelloMellow 2010-01-14 12:15:19)

MotherBoard: ASUS P5K WS
I can't really say what kind of FW connection it is, I have an expansion FW card.
I have to open my computer and take out the card to see what kind it is, but in device manager everything seems to work fine.
This unfortunatly affects my DAW to, I use Ableton Live 8.

It happened again yesterday when looking at a movie in VLC-player, the sound stopped, then i had to change the output from ADAT 3-4 to 5-6 or something similar, and then the sound started working again.

EDIT: I opened my computer and took out the card, but it didnt say much, just a bunch of numbers etc. any way I can find out what kind of card it is?

Is that Windows 7 Release version or earlier?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by HelloMellow 2010-01-14 15:51:39)

MC wrote:

Is that Windows 7 Release version or earlier?

Yes, It's windows 7

Now it happened again, but now I can't fix it :S It looks like the only output where there is sound is S/PDIF, but i don't use that! This is killing me! AAH!

What Matthias meant is: Is this the version of Windows 7 that is sold or is it an earlier Beta, Realease Candidate (RC) or Release to Manufacture (RTM) version?

It's the one that is sold. It's windows 7 ultimate 64x

You use the latest driver together with the latest flash update? You tried changing to Legacy mode?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I'm using the latest driver and flash update. I don't know how to change to Legacy mode :S

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5305

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

14 (edited by HelloMellow 2010-01-15 22:48:06)

I'm not sure, but I think it's working big_smile I'll write another post tomorrow if it's still working then wink

EDIT: No, now it stopped working again.
Same problem as before, an hour ago everything was working fine, now i can't get a sound out of my computer.
I'm not sure but I think maybe the sound issue crashed my ableton live session earlier to...
This is really getting on my nerves now hmm

And when I set "default device" to SPDIF in "sound" in windows I can see that sound is being sent. But since I dont use SPDIF it doesn't help hmm

After I restart my PC everything works fine again.

15 (edited by HelloMellow 2010-02-04 12:19:26)

It seems like it's working better, but not as good as it should hmm

Can anyone please help me with this?

When I go to my output under "sample rates" it says: "which of the following sample rates are supported by your digital receiver?" 48khz is selected, is this correct? can this have something to do with my problem?