Topic: Fireface 800 - Mac Pro Intel 8-core - Loepard 10.5.1 = PROBLEM!!!

I have a new Pro Mac 8-core, 5Gb RAM, OS X 10.5.1, Fireface 800, Emagic AMT-8, Logic 8.01...

I have plugged my FF800 to my Mac Pro using a new 800 FW-cabel.  I have the RME v.2.66 firmware installed from another Intel Mac, 10.4, Fireface_260a_x 86 driver installed. My Fireface 800 connects. Fireface Settings & Fireface mixer shows up in the doc. Fireface Settings shows my unit# and v.2.66. It also shows up in audio Midi setup and in Logic 8.01. But something doesn't work!!

I start Logic 8.01 and see my FF800 selected in the audiosetup. 2 green lights are lit on the FF800, but in a few seconds every lamp starts to flash like a pinballmachine. There is no sound working either.

After, I put the FF800 in my old G5 (Dual 2.5) 10.3.9, Logic 7.01 and it's working fine there. So, my FF800 seems to work. I connect it once again to my Mac Pro, but the same error shows up?

Please help. I don't know what to do?

Thank you!
-Jonas

Re: Fireface 800 - Mac Pro Intel 8-core - Loepard 10.5.1 = PROBLEM!!!

Does this error show up when you don't open Settings dialog and TotalMix?

Usually all lights flashing indicates an internal fault. Astonishing that it seems to work with the other computer, but maybe this is not a reliable state and fails there after some time too...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the reply!

Settings and Mixer shows in the doc when the FF800 is on and plugged in. Without opening them up. Opened up Logic 8.01 again: Error occured when switching to use the FF800 in the core-audiosetup in preferences.

I've tested the FF800 back with my old G5 (Dual 2.5), 10.3.9, Logic 7.01 all day and it's been working fine. No problems at all which is odd when having the Intel driver..   

What can I do?

Thank you!
-Jonas

are you using other fw devices?

No, I don't use other fw device. Sometimes my external harddrive is connnected with fw though. I have tried without it plugged in..

Thank you.
-Jonas

Sounds Like My Problem Too!!!

THANKS!
[color=blue]BOOTLEG[/color]

When I only put 4 Gb RAM in my Mac Pro Intel 8-core, everything worked for 3 hours.
Then my soundcard suddenly got quite. And my midi did not work..(Emagic amt-8)?  Suddenly I couldn't open FF settings 1st page...?

When installing the audio drivers for the Fireface 800, by default the installer
also installs the midi drivers "Fireface Midi.plugin"

This "Fireface Midi.plugin" creates a conflict with the "EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin" which is running my Emagic, AMT-8 midiinterface.
When I start up Logic,the popup window stops at the "Checking Midi Drivers" and Logic
is not responding (when force quit).
Then, the only way to start up Logic (or Peak which also is dependent on midi drivers)
is to restart the computer.

When the Fireface Midi.plugin icon is removed from the HD/Library/Audio/MIDI /Drivers folder, the midi works again in Logic, and Logic starts without any problem.

Thank you!
-Jonas

Jonas,

try the new Settings dialog mentioned in this thread:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2021

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,

I have a Macpro 8-core with 10.62 OS, and a fireface 800. I connected both of them with a FW 800 cable and downloaded the '10.4 and up' driver from RME. I followed the instructions that was there on the readme file of the driver. The instructions required me to install Rosetta, which I did. The RME driver got installed and could see both the icons- the green mixer icon of the RME and the red (burning) icon in the Applications folder. However the red light on the fireface 800 is still on, indicating it is not connected to the MacPro. I am new to using Mac. Earlier I was using the fireface on a PC. Are there any changes that I need to do on the fireface 800 to get it connected to the MacPro ? Please help.

Thanks !
Solomon

Hi Solomon,

I guess you didn't notice this import part of the file description: "Mac OS X (10.4 or up) PowerPC" - you installed the driver for PPC on an Intel Mac. The one you should install is here: https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/fireface_x86.zip

Mac OS X SL (10.6) Intel driver for Fireface 400/800, version 2.65. Supports 10.5 in 32 bit, 10.6 in 32 bit and 64 bit.

You will have to clean out the wrong files before you install this correct driver. Please see this forum post for instructions, note that the files in /Users will not exist on your system since the apps never started.

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4602

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.