Topic: Can't playback more than one audio source at a time with UC

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit with Fireface UC.  With my old system I could playback more that one audio source at a time, for example Battery, Guitar Rig and a cd running in Windows Media player.

Now I can only playback one source at a time.  All my sources are routed to playback ASIO Fireface U C Analog 1 and Analog 2.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help

Re: Can't playback more than one audio source at a time with UC

You mean you can only play with one program at the same time? This is the usual behaviour with ASIO drivers. There can be only one exclusive program access to an ASIO driver. You have to disable selected devices (Analog 3/4 ...) in the ASIO panel of Battery or Guitar Rig to use them in other programs at the same time.

best regards
Knut

Knut,

Thanks for your reply. 

On my older system with Creative ASIO Drivers I could have Windows Media Player playing a cd and at the same time I could have standalone Guitar Rig open and play along with the cd.

In the new system with Fireface UC, I can play a cd with Windows Media Player, but as soon as I open Guitar Rig the audio from Windows Media Player stops.

Also, I'm not sure how to "disable selected devices (Analog 3/4 ...) in the ASIO panel of Battery or Guitar Rig.  You can only choose from a list for the Output in the ASIO panel.  No matter what output I choose (Analog 1, Analog 2, etc) Windows media player audio stops when I open Guitar Rig or Battery or FM8, etc.

Another example from my old system,  I could open Guitar Rig and start the loop player, I could then open Absynth or FM8 and play along with the loop from Guitar Rig.

Can't do that now.

Thanks for any further suggestions.

On my older system with Creative ASIO Drivers I could have Windows Media Player playing a cd and at the same time I could have standalone Guitar Rig open and play along with the cd.

This was only possible, when the ASIO setup in Guitar Rig freed devices for Windows Media Player and other applications. The basic rule in ASIO is: only one program at the same time can access a device (e. g. Analog Output 1/2).

In the new system with Fireface UC, I can play a cd with Windows Media Player, but as soon as I open Guitar Rig the audio from Windows Media Player stops.

Of course. The ASIO setup in Guitar Rig does not allow an access from other programs unless you free the devices used as default audio devices in Windows (audio setup). If you can?t identify them, uncheck all output devices in the Guitar Rig ASIO setup panel and check only one output pair. Close Guitar Rig, start Media Player. If the sound stops when you start Guitar Rig you?ve found them. Uncheck this output pair and check the others to use them with Guitar Rig.

best regards
Knut

Some ASIO drivers *do* allow to mix several sources (which the driver then mixes in software). RME always had a strict stand to sticking with ASIO conformity and instead you would have to use hardware mixing via Totalmix (or a mixing desk) to mix several applications' output.