1 (edited by dailymixdown.com 2010-02-02 20:40:11)

Topic: Problem: VSTi's chirp & scratch with Fireface 800 + Windows 7 setup

Hello everyone

I installed Windows 7 (32 bit) and latest RME drivers and firmware recently. Running the latest version of Cubase 5. All software is legit and registered. Unfortunately my Fireface doesn't like this setup evidently. I'm hearing little chirps and scratches when playing ALL vsti's within Cubase. I have played with latency but nothing helps. I am using a Firewire card with Texas Instruments chipset.

Any ideas? This is a showstopping problem for me unfortunately.

Thanks in advance

PC is an Intel D975XBX2 with Core 2 Duo CPU and 8GB of RAM.

Mark

Re: Problem: VSTi's chirp & scratch with Fireface 800 + Windows 7 setup

Update.. if I select 768 samples it chirps and scratches a lot less. .. but then my latency is over 20ms.

Have you tested the PC with this software?

http://rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1704

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ah! That identified the problem. I was getting a big CPU spike about every 30 seconds or so. I went into device manager and disabled my network card and bing, no more chirps and scratches. In the past disconnecting from the net during recording was enough. Apparently no longer.

Raises a question though....      is there any way to prevent the network card from polling and causing that CPU spike?

Thanks!

dailymixdown.com wrote:

Raises a question though....      is there any way to prevent the network card from polling and causing that CPU spike?

That would be a question for the PC manufacturer... cool
Check for driver updates.

If there's no way around it, an inexpensive USB network adapter will likely help.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Ok thanks and have a great day!