1 (edited by MoonMix 2010-02-02 23:12:16)

Topic: OctaMic II Preamp Questions

sorry...

I know it's not a firewire device...(didn't know where else to go)...but I was wondering (prior to an almost definite purchase)...

1) Are the pre's in this unit (RME OctaMic II) Class A ?

2) Are they (& is the unit, in general) [quote/unquote] transparent ?

3) any idea who makes the converters (i.e., are they proprietary or from a company like AKM, CIRRUS Logic, etc.) ?

thanks,

MoonMix

2 (edited by MoonMix 2010-02-03 23:36:49)

Re: OctaMic II Preamp Questions

ok...

nix that question...I have a more important one.

on the OctaMic's specs, it states that:

The digitized signal is available simultaneously at the double ADAT output (S/MUX, up to 96 kHz), and at a DB-25 connector (4 AES/EBU outputs, up to 192 kHz).

what do they mean by 4...???

I thought all DB-25 AES Outs were capable of sending 8 digital channels.

reason I ask is...I need this unit to interface w/ my Lynx AES16, to give me an additional 8 channels of input into my DAW.

thanks,

MM

Hi Moonmix,
AES-3 (alias AES/EBU) is specified as double channel, that means: on one electrical connector (for example, one pin of your XLR-cable, or one pin of the D-SUB25-connector), there is digital data containing two channels. S/PDIF (little brother of AES-3) works the same way - otherwise you'd need two optical cables from your CD-player to your receiver.
The second pin for a balanced connection, by the way, carries the inverted digital signal, also containing both channels of music.
Note that there is no standard on 25-Pin-DSUB-Pinout for AES-3. Lynx uses, I think, Yamaha Pinout, while RME, Tascam, Digidesign etc. use the so-called Tascam-pinout. There are adapters from one pinout to the other, you might want to buy one of those.
Best regards,
Max

4 (edited by MoonMix 2010-02-06 04:42:40)

max...

thanks a million...!!!...useful info, all

would you happen to know (since you seem like a knowledgeable person in these areas)...the answers to the other questions...[are the pre's class a...are they transparent (well...forget transparent...are they 'clean'?...who make the converters?]

thanks,

MM

UPDATE: max...heard back from RME tech support.  the pre's are Class A...converters by AKM.  I want this unit...can't wait.  (although, someone suggested that they sound 'thick'.  but heck, thick might be good, I'm not sure).

mm

Hi Moonmix,
now I'm curious :-)
what does this person mean by "thick"? What did he compare the Octamic to? I'm doing lots and lots of recordings with RME and other manufacturers, but that attribute never crossed my mind. Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy to have such a well-designed, reliable device, which is at the same time really affordable. If you really want to hear differences, you need good test equipment and really good ears (and an opinion which nuances you prefer - that's very difficult as well). PM me if you need ideas on how to set up an ABX test :-) (honestly, sometimes that is the only way to get rid of all doubts :-)). 
Max