Topic: Windows 7 ready to go for audio ?

Hi,
I am preparing a new desktop for audio recording ( with a Fireface 800).
I was wondering if this could be the time to start with Win 7 ( I skipped Vista and have been using Xp until now) to start to get some confidence with it.
I see all these posts about problems in configuration and have been worrying about it.
As I know the benefits of going Win 7 are the chance to have more ram available and going 64 bits.
On this last point I am not sure I can understand the benefits of this.

Anything I miss ?

thanks,
Luca

btw,
I have been suggested to go with an easy Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 ( it has a T.I. Firewire connection) with an Athlon II X2 250. I don't need crazy power as I am doing recording of 8 tracks maximum and very light vst processing and no use of Vsti.  So it' more about an easy, solid and silent machine than a super up to the edge one.

Re: Windows 7 ready to go for audio ?

Soon or later you are goin to use XP.........trust me

Unguitar 2009 wrote:

Hi,
As I know the benefits of going Win 7 are the chance to have more ram available and going 64 bits.
On this last point I am not sure I can understand the benefits of this.
//--
I have been suggested to go with an easy Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 ( it has a T.I. Firewire connection) with an Athlon II X2 250. I don't need crazy power as I am doing recording of 8 tracks maximum and very light vst processing and no use of Vsti.  So it' more about an easy, solid and silent machine than a super up to the edge one.

8 tracks, no vsti and light processing, well at 1st more ram seems not a must for you, but on the other side I can't see deep problem for your needs to run under win7.
To build a dual boot system would be imho a good thing to do since it will gives you plenty of time to test and be accustomed under win7 x64 and ready if some day that move become a must.

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

Thanks Rwil,
the dual boot advice is a very smart one.

Do you think that this Mobo+Cpu solution is going to suffer workload when under Win7 ?
I know that with Xp it will be running more than fine.

thanks a lot.

Luca

Unfortunatly I don't know about that Gigabyte, but having the TI FW is at least a good thing. Otherwise I'm an Intel user all the way and so far don't really search anything around AMD, but that is personal taste and mind.

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7