Topic: How do you route audio in browsers (Firefox)?

I'm using Firefox v3.5.7 on XP SP2.  I've got a FF800 and it *sometimes* plays audio from the browser.

It's most likely to play the audio (let's say a MySpace page or a YouTube video) when I have nothing else open and no other tabs.

However, I've encountered this scenario quite often:
I'm viewing a YouTube video and the audio is playing just fine.  I hit "Stop" on the video.
I open up another tab and want to check out someone's MySpace page and listen to a band's music.
The music won't play at all.

I have to shut down Firefox and then re-open the MySpace page.  Then the music will play.

Is this a Flash Player problem or a FF800/TotalMix issue?  Can you have Cubase open AND a browser that both play audio?
Thanks.

Re: How do you route audio in browsers (Firefox)?

RyanPitch wrote:

Can you have Cubase open AND a browser that both play audio?

Yes - if you set it up right, meaning you will have to choose the same sampling rate and different playback channels.
See "Multi-Client Operation" in the FF manual.

Windows sounds however, including firefox, should be no problem regarding simultaneous playback (from different tabs or programs NOT using ASIO).

Ok, thanks for the reply.  I read the "Multi-Client Operation" section of my FF800 manual and my setup should be able to do this.

So here's the question, then:
If I have Cubase set up to use TotalMix output channels 1/2, then how do I "route" or "instruct" the sound of Firefox (or FlashPlayers inside of Firefox) to output channels 3/4?

Select 3/4 as default audio channels in the Windows control panel and deactivate them in the Cubase audio setup menu.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Wow, thanks Daniel.  I don't really understand what the difference between these two is, but I found my problem thanks to your suggestion.

Under Windows Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio -> Sound Playback,

I had chosen "Fireface Analog (5+6) MME" and when I changed it to "Fireface Analog (5+6)" everything started working perfectly.

Thanks again.

One of many reasons why we started to remove MME...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME