Topic: [FF400] Do I need a DI-box?

Do I need a DI-box or can I use the instrument input on the front? Someone said the instrument inputs are a bit noisy and you are better of with a DI-box. I don't have a reamping box yet so if the answer is yes, I might as well buy both at the same time.

Thanks!

Re: [FF400] Do I need a DI-box?

I use the instrument inputs on my FF400 for guitar and bass all the time and have never had a noise problem at all. In fact they are very clean.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

3 (edited by cigame 2010-02-06 15:46:06)

On my FF 800 the instrument input 1 is noisier than using a buffer amp and connect than to a line input.
When using high gain amp simulation input 1 is not useable. For bass or clean guitar sounds it might work.

BTW, the instrument low z inputs in micstasy sound great.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

redlogic wrote:

I use the instrument inputs on my FF400 for guitar and bass all the time and have never had a noise problem at all. In fact they are very clean.

+1. 3/4 hi-z enabled are very clean here, and no need for DI or insuch case.
Btw Anton L, a reamping box is usually to do the opposite task, and which is to translate signal from the line out of the FF example, and to feed the hi-z in of a guitar amp. Some device are able to work in both ways though (Radial JDI passive).
rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

cigame wrote:

On my FF 800 the instrument input 1 is noisier than using a buffer amp and connect than to a line input.
When using high gain amp simulation input 1 is not useable.

The instrument input on the FF800 is a little different than the FF400 depending on what options you have checked.

I use the instrument inputs on the FF400 for high gain amp simulation also.

Never had a problem.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Thanks everyone! I will use the Hi-Z inputs on the Fireface 400 then.

redlogic wrote:

Btw Anton L, a reamping box is usually to do the opposite task, and which is to translate signal from the line out of the FF example, and to feed the hi-z in of a guitar amp. Some device are able to work in both ways though (Radial JDI passive).
rw

Yes that's correct. The recorded line-level signal needs to be fed back into a Hi-Z input. Thanks for letting me know about the Radial JDI!

Is the re-amping device really necessary however? What were your experiences regarding using a re-amper withe the Fireface outputs? I have an X-Amp and used it to re-amp through the line level output of the Fireface. However I was also able to do the same thing without using the X-Amp just by connecting the output of the Fireface directly to my guitar amp input. The results sound the same to me. Does anyone know if Im missing out something here? Is there a real benefit to using a re-amper instead of using the line output of the Fireface? Thanks.

gtr wrote:

Is the re-amping device really necessary however? What were your experiences regarding using a re-amper withe the Fireface outputs? I have an X-Amp and used it to re-amp through the line level output of the Fireface. However I was also able to do the same thing without using the X-Amp just by connecting the output of the Fireface directly to my guitar amp input. The results sound the same to me. Does anyone know if Im missing out something here? Is there a real benefit to using a re-amper instead of using the line output of the Fireface? Thanks.

In many situations the rules saying " low into high will fly; high into low won't go", works.
The problems that i know that may raise are:
-the limited headroom since you may have to reduce a lot the output line level from the Fireface to not overload the guitar in. So here if your guitar lick is having a very wide dynamic range, maybe it cannot translate as well or exactly like original.
-isolation, so here potential ground loop, and also noise and distortion issues.

So, use your ears and if the result with your setup works fine, great!

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7