Topic: FF800 and daisy-chained FW hard disk on iMac

Hi.

I have an iMac 27-inch and am thinking of buying a FireFace 800, but my mac only has a single FW800 port (with no means of adding any more).
Has anyone had any luck daisy-chaining the Fireface with a firewire 800 / 400 hard disk? I've heard there are problems with the LaCie drives when doing this (I currently have an M-Audio projectmix, which drops out whenever there is any disk access, although it's second in the chain; I miss my old multiface).

tl; dr, my questions are:

1. Has anybody successfully (no drop-outs) daisy-chained a firewire hard disk with the Fireface?
2. If so, which brand / model, and, which order did you chain them in?

Thanks,

Adam.

PS. I tried searching the forum, but only found a single post about this, and it didn't really answer my questions.

Re: FF800 and daisy-chained FW hard disk on iMac

I run a Fireface 800 with a Glyph 062 RAID drive in a chain of MacBook Pro -> Glyph -> Fireface, using Firewire 800 connections.  Rock steady.

I would suggest that in most cases, having the drive in the middle of the chain will give you the most stability and the fewest problems.

Frank Lockwood
https://LockwoodARS.com
Fireface 800, Firmware 2.77
Drivers: Win10, 3.125; Mac, 3.36

Thanks - that's what I was hoping to hear.

4 (edited by peachboy 2010-02-16 10:47:15)

Yeah .. I have a FF800 also chained to a Glyph GT050Q on Firewire 800 - works perfectly with my iMac.