Topic: need digital crossover between UC & iTunes(mac)

i am currently use iTunes to play songs on macbook with Fireface UC. now would like to split the signal into high/mid/low before sending to UC. any suggestion please?

one more thing that needs help, iTunes ALWAYS(default) sends signal to out1/2, is there a way to alter that?

many thanks in advance.

Re: need digital crossover between UC & iTunes(mac)

I was looking at doing this on a PC, and found that an application called "Console" that allowed an easy way to use VST plug-ins in a fairly lightweight host application.  You could, of course, use a more sophistocated DAW application as well.  In my case on a PC, I used the RME's "Loopback" feature to send the Media Player's output back to an RME Input - then Console takes its input from there.  I split the signal into 3 stereo chains, and applied filters and delays (VST Plug-ins of your choice) as needed for L/M/H outputs (each stereo chain goes to a discrete output pair).  On a Mac, Core Audio might allow this w/o using RME's "Loopback" feature, but I dunno.  You'd still need some kind of a host to insert the DSP AFAIK.

There might be a more streamlined way to do this, but I have not seen any pre-baked solutions to allow Loudspeaker Managment and Processing on a computer with a multi-out soundcard (this could be a killer niche software market IMNSHO - basically like a Driverack or even a Lake processor as a "plug-in" or standalone host that would work with any multi-output interface wink ).

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

thanks Randyman. i download Reason 4 demo but failed to set it to pick up the loopback signal from channel1/2 of UC, anyone? please help!

It should work.  If you are on a Mac, you might not even need to use RME's loopback, and use Core Audio to route the channels internally (I'm not familiar with Core Audio or Macs in general, but I believe this is one of its features).  Make sure Reason is properly configured to get inputs 1/2.  I know I had this working on a PC with Console as the host...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Your active crossover theory does work and it can work incredibly well. I agree that this should be the new way to implement crossovers as also mentioned here. I have heard the proof of it!

I learned how to do this while searching for a digital crossover at this link.

Thuneau is also a good place to look, they are currently working on a mac solution as too.

Hope this helps you!

whatapar wrote:

i am currently use iTunes to play songs on macbook with Fireface UC. now would like to split the signal into high/mid/low before sending to UC. any suggestion please?

one more thing that needs help, iTunes ALWAYS(default) sends signal to out1/2, is there a way to alter that?

many thanks in advance.

You mentioned changing the default settings so that I-tunes will play out differently (different output)? Go into the control panel of your soundcard and change the default playback outputs. Usually, this is either digital toslink, stereo speakers or something of that nature. But it will depend largely on how you have your software crossover setup. If your crossover is set to take its input from the digital output of the computer then you would route the output to your RME's individual outputs going to that corresponding speaker driver. Just make sure they all match up or you could fry some of the drivers.

Essentially, the crossover software may take it's input from the computer digital out. Then the software sends it's output to the RME interface channels.

Try using the digital loopback instead of using channels 1,2. You will then only have one D to A conversion if I am understanding you right.

Hope I didn't make that look too confusing. There are other ways to accomplish this also. That is just one way.

Mikal

i've found an effect-chainer called Plogue Bidule to work on mac. it works pretty much like 'console' on pc. i  now apply necessary filters on 3 stereo pairs just like Randyman did.

i use 'audio midi setup' app to set the system output onto rme software output channel other than the default 1/2. 

problem solved. ^^

happy listening!