1 (edited by anttipi 2010-02-20 01:23:09)

Topic: Using HDSP 9632 as ASIO multi-client

I'm trying to achieve a setup where I could use Cubase SX or Media Player simultaneously with BFD2 from HDSP 9632's S/PDIF out connection (for recording e-drums and jamming to mp3's, respectively).   

Following the Hammerfall manual's recommendation, I have set onboard sound as my default Windows soundcard. So now I have the onboard soundcard connected to 9632 via S/PDIF which in turn is connected to my external D/A converter (CIAudio VDA-2) with optical cable. But with this configuration, the onboard soundcard seems to be fixed at outputting 48 KHz even when playing CDs that are sampled at 44.1.?!

I can't use BFD2 (Hammerfall ASIO driver) simultaneously with Media Player unless I change ClockMode to Master. However it produces some extra high-end sizzle as the frequency is dropped to 44.1 (Lock) from the 48 Khz (Sync). Sometimes only the Lock/Sync status changes and the frequency remains at 48 Khz as I toggle between AutoSync/Master Clock Mode! I don't understand what's happening here.

Also, in the manual it says ASIO multi-client operation is possible as long as the clients are output to dedicated playback channels and use the same sampling rate. But when I route Cubase to playback channels 1+2 and BFD2 to 3+4, all I hear from Cubase is some faint crackling. Of course, I can use BFD2 as a VST plugin in Cubase but I still don't get why it's not working: both operate at 44.1 KHz and use the same Hammerfall ASIO driver?

In conclusion, I'm starting to think it's impossible to achieve what I'm trying to get. The only solution I can think of is dragging mp3 files individually to Cubase with BFD2 as a plug-in for jamming.

2 (edited by Dandruff 2010-02-20 03:32:46)

Re: Using HDSP 9632 as ASIO multi-client

Maybe a bug in BFD2 (not releasing channels properly)? What happens if you work in 48kHz all the way?

anttipi wrote:

I'm trying to achieve a setup where I could use Cubase SX or Media Player simultaneously with BFD2 from HDSP 9632's S/PDIF out connection (for recording e-drums and jamming to mp3's, respectively).   

Following the Hammerfall manual's recommendation, I have set onboard sound as my default Windows soundcard. So now I have the onboard soundcard connected to 9632 via S/PDIF which in turn is connected to my external D/A converter (CIAudio VDA-2) with optical cable. But with this configuration, the onboard soundcard seems to be fixed at outputting 48 KHz even when playing CDs that are sampled at 44.1.?!

I can't use BFD2 (Hammerfall ASIO driver) simultaneously with Media Player unless I change ClockMode to Master. However it produces some extra high-end sizzle as the frequency is dropped to 44.1 (Lock) from the 48 Khz (Sync). Sometimes only the Lock/Sync status changes and the frequency remains at 48 Khz as I toggle between AutoSync/Master Clock Mode! I don't understand what's happening here.

Also, in the manual it says ASIO multi-client operation is possible as long as the clients are output to dedicated playback channels and use the same sampling rate. But when I route Cubase to playback channels 1+2 and BFD2 to 3+4, all I hear from Cubase is some faint crackling. Of course, I can use BFD2 as a VST plugin in Cubase but I still don't get why it's not working: both operate at 44.1 KHz and use the same Hammerfall ASIO driver?

In conclusion, I'm starting to think it's impossible to achieve what I'm trying to get. The only solution I can think of is dragging mp3 files individually to Cubase with BFD2 as a plug-in for jamming.

Hey there.

Unless you clock the 9632 to Spdif you will get some weird things happening! I would try using the 9632 as the output for windows media player. Set BFD to use a different stereo pair.  In totalmix you can route any inputs to any output/s. In your case the spdif output. In this case the 9632 would be your master. (Assuming your VDA-2 can accept external sync) If it can't you will have to clock to the VDA-2 and connect a cable from the VDA-2 spdif output to the 9632 spdif input. Remember you can only have one master in a digital system.

Hope this helps,

Isaac

4 (edited by anttipi 2010-02-21 16:08:20)

isaac wrote:

I would try using the 9632 as the output for windows media player. Set BFD to use a different stereo pair.  In totalmix you can route any inputs to any output/s. In your case the spdif output. In this case the 9632 would be your master.(Assuming your VDA-2 can accept external sync) If it can't you will have to clock to the VDA-2 and connect a cable from the VDA-2 spdif output to the 9632 spdif input. Remember you can only have one master in a digital system.

Hope this helps,

Isaac

I have tried to assign Media Player and BFD2 to different Playback channels (Analog 1+2 and S/PDIF L&R) in TotalMix but I can't launch the programs simultaneously. If BFD2 is already running, Media Player reports an error and vice versa if Media Player is running, BFD2 says the audio interface is already used by another application.

I'm still wondering why the onboard audio is outputting 48 KHz (when connected to the 9632 via S/PDIF)? I thought 44.1 is the norm, as that is the sampling rate of CDs, for example. In any case, I decided to disable onboard audio altogether and now I'm using the card RME for everything. Seems much more convenient that way.

And regarding the ancient Cubase SX 2, I'll probably be switching to Reaper ASAP.

Dandruff wrote:

What happens if you work in 48kHz all the way?

I think the pitch was shifted in BFD2 and Cubase.