Topic: Locked channel count.

Hi there!

Just asking a question in advance, since i'm doing a little system-planning.

This future system would likely be a RayDAT + two rme adat converters for a total I/O of 16. Now, i do the majority of work at 44,1/48 but occasionally some 88,2/96 material ends up at my studio. Obviously this requires S/MUX to work, but is it possible to wire this in a way (or control via software settings), so the 16 I/O is always the first 16 channels regardless of sample rate? Right now i'm guessing the converters would have to be wired in ADAT 1/2 + 3/4 pairs, which would result in "double channels" and and inconsistant channel-mapping for the vast majority of the work i do, and while it doesn't affect the audio, its a little inconvenient (or annoying if you will smile

Is there any way around this - or is it already implemented somehow? A quick read through the RayDAT manual didn't reveal anything towards this issue.

Best regards,
Rune / FishCorp

Rune Borup @ FishCorp
Producer / Engineer / Composer
RayDAT > 2 x ADI-8 QS | AES+SPDIF > ADI-2 Pro

Re: Locked channel count.

Each ADAT interface will carry 4 channels in SMUX mode - so the channel assignment (or rather the assignment of the ADAT ports) will change.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by Basken 2010-02-22 13:04:25)

Re: Locked channel count.

Ok, i guess i'll put in a humble feature request for a 'Constant channel count' or 'Hide S/MUX channels' setting in the HDSP Settings.

When ticked (in the case of RayDAT), it would limit the total ADAT channels to 16 I/O and filter out ADAT 2 + 4 (the double adats used for S/MUX) in TotalMIX and the exposed ASIO I/O. This would provide a persistent and uniform channel mapping regardless of sample-rate, and clean up totalmix significantly in 44,1 .. which would be wonderful for those of us who are working with varying sample-rates.

Best regards,
Rune / FishCorp

Rune Borup @ FishCorp
Producer / Engineer / Composer
RayDAT > 2 x ADI-8 QS | AES+SPDIF > ADI-2 Pro