1 (edited by harpie 2010-02-23 02:01:53)

Topic: AEB input will not lock. :(

hello : )   I just bought a brand new AEB 4-i for my old DIGI 9652 sound card. i've installed as per the instructions taking care to line up the ground on the cables etc. now installed, i click the ADAT1 int parameter ( to turn on the AEB) and the 'sync check' keeps flickering:

Lock, no lock , lock ,sync ,no lock ...lock!

My 9652 sound card seems o.k, as i can play sound out from a media player. as well i have another 9636 card that is working fine too.

i read on the net somewhere that these AEB expansion cards can get confused as to the frequency they use?i believe it did work for a few minutes at one point in time. but now its definitely confused again :(

i've been using 44.1kh during the intital testing, its just the analog audio input that's messed up.
i'm running driver version 2.1 , 9652 rev 1.5 (w52 eprom) xp system pack 3 , 2 gig mem 3.4x2 cpu + bios tuned well.

Any help would be great.

thanks for your time.

*this was edited to help the explanation.

Re: AEB input will not lock. :(

Clock mode Master?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by harpie 2010-02-23 01:34:34)

hello : ) i have had to edit this as i have found new results.

[img align=L]http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/5/27/2457787/testing123.JPG[/img]

( this was once part of a tidy studio! sad a bomb hit it when the AEB arrived.

in the end i had 3 computers to test this new AEB 4-i. And 2 different digi 96 cards (9636 and a 9652)

i wanted this to work with my newer machine on the right of the picture.

(left) an old gigabyte 945gmh  (middle) very old asus P4s8x  (right) a new s series gigabyte.(built around 2008/09 with the newer pci slots)

4 (edited by harpie 2010-02-23 01:41:54)

update, **

with the AEB installed in my newer PC ( made around 2008  so has the newer PCI slots on)
the AEB will not sync up to the digi 9636 after 1 reboot , the sync check flickers

(lock>no lock >sync >no lock> lock)

incidentally,the digi9636/52 works fine on its own in the newer machine.

With the AEB installed in my two older PC's ,the sync check says ! "sync"!! not a flicker.

And when i play music or a test tone through the AEB into nuendo it works great! But, when i stop playing music through it, the AEB input clicks and pops peaking a 0 db at the same randomness as the ( lock, unlock sync , unlock lock problem on the) newer motherboard ,not good at all! The clicks sound just like a sync irregularity. Even when I pull the 1/4 inch jacks out of the AEB inputs it still clicks and pops ( so its not from the audio source) and the Vu meters of the nuendo inputs show the clicks are coming from the AEB.

basically: to stop this AEB from making the terrible clicking sounds= i have to constantly put sound into it!! Once i stop playing sound into it, or pull the cables out of the AEB, it starts clicking again. 

So i can say without doubt the problem is the AEB after all.

The reason i did not notice this before was because i was only using sync check as a reference whilst testing the three machines on the floor. (you can see i only had a monitor) i assumed if sync check did not flicker and said "sync" it would be o.k, but now i am putting audio through the AEB, there are random audio clicks when i stop routing audio through it! But the sync check does not register these irregularities( it just says "sync" the whole time : /)

An absolute nightmare of a time.. i've had many computer problems in my life, but this is one of the worst. and it came at a really bad time, i needed this to work so much hence the work i put into finding a solution.

i think what i might do is email RME support and point them to this thread !
maybe i could then send them my card and they could put this on one of there machines and test it like i have! fingers crossed they get the same problem and replace it.

i really needed this system working days ago.  : (

i hope someone can help

thanks for reading. : )

This whole thread is a bit strange to me. You talk about getting a 'brand-new' AEB, but the fact is that they are out of production and distribution for some time already. So did you buy this at a dealer, or is it a used one from private? What PCB revision is printed on the AEB? And what PCB revision are your 9636 and 9652?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

hello

My thread is strange? No, the problem is strange and my situation is very stressful. i am doing everything i can to offer information. i take a picture to show that i am trying everthing i can to make it work ( that it is not just a simple case of engaging "master" on the 9636/52 card to make it work) 

AEB 4-i =  rev 1.2

both the 96 cards = rev 1.5

new aeb = new from a dealer. sfb electronics

thank you for reading.

The AEBs often have problems in newer machines, means motherboards, as the power rails are much more noisier. There is no fix available, sorry.

When the AEB-4I does not work for you you should send it back to the dealer, I am pretty sure he will pay back the money.

Please note that these boards have been designed in the year 2000. We had good reasons to remove them from our catalog.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

i know allot of people that have had problems with the newer PCI slots , ( i have myself have also a few years ago using MOTU gear, hence i thought it might be one of the causes to this.

the pci revisions were redesigned and changed 'to give people problems', so they need to upgrade more components. these PCi slots look the same, purposefully so you purchace a new motherboard to find that now you need to upgrade your pci cards also. A very clever legally deceitful way to take even more money from the public!

Across the planet millions of people having to upgrade pci cards just so they can upgrade there motherboards/CPU/memory!  The whole thing is designed to be this way. Some manufactures actually brilliantly design things to fall apart after a certain length of use. ( that is a fact)

im not saying RME are to blame at all. i love my raydat everything is great on that machine.

But there is definitely a large 'multi-multinational company' out there controlling these types of affairs.

i was so annoyed because i am working for a charity! A worthwhile cause ,that has minimal funds.
i had everything set, all I needed was just 4 inputs. 

however, i have found a work around and shall finally get on with my work.

thank you for the confirmation on the PCI slots.

9 (edited by harpie 2010-02-23 15:49:57)

although progress does come from all this. We cant keep using the same pci cards. companies need funding.

But it would be nice to have obvioulsy diffrent coloured sockets on motherbaords for people that need to spend wisely!

my rant over i think.  :)

10 (edited by harpie 2010-02-23 23:47:18)

you typed:
"Please note that these boards have been designed in the year 2000. We had good reasons to remove them from our catalog"

MC, you still sell these at your RME retail shop with no warnings about PCI incompatibilities in the description.

This information should be in bold for the customer to see.

sold via rme shop

11 (edited by harpie 2010-02-24 00:48:34)

you also say:
"This whole thread is a bit strange to me. You talk about getting a 'brand-new' AEB, but the fact is that they are out of production and distribution for some time already"

i must admit these comments made me feel as though it was all my fault for buying an AEB.

when really they are actually sold all over the Internet including your RME retail shop.  i did my research and it was the best option. i am not the only one to have this problem as you mention the power rails on the newer mb's so why is this not mentioned on the RME website why not warn people?  answer = to sell more.

I feel wrong to send mine back now, its been installed and reinstalled so many times this past week. why should the retailer suffer? i feel pushed onto a path now that i have to accept and use this on an old motherboard.

Hello,

harpie wrote:

MC, you still sell these at your RME retail shop with no warnings about PCI incompatibilities in the description.

The RME shop is not our shop as such, it is a regular dutch reseller:
SFB Electronics,  P.O.Box 708, 1200AS Hilversum, The Netherlands

Whatever remaining stock may be sold "all over the internet" is just that, essentially, unsold stock in retailers' warehouses. We no longer deliver or manufacture these cards.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

You're saying you're not affiliated at all with that shop."..as such,"

The RME retail shop,   www.rme-shop.com.

Well there you see, a company using your brand name and selling your products, along with the AEB made in 2000 that are incompatible with modern motherboards, with no warning at all of the PCI problem! how the hek was i to know that without testing in multiple machines?

You may not care that i had trouble?  But what of all the other people that will fall into this trap?
it wont make a dent on your sales, that's why RME don't care. innocent people working hard to make money to buy these components. it will happen again to someone else, without some kind of warning, logic dictates. 

You should have said apologies for your tough time with our product, i shall inform sfb to include a note regarding pci incompatibility, as i would dislike anyone else having this unnecessary trouble particularly when they use our RME brand name to sell our out of date items.

harpie wrote:

You're saying you're not affiliated at all with that shop."..as such,"

What I meant that it isn't some kind of official factory outlet. It's a regular retailer.

Well there you see, a company using your brand name and selling your products, along with the AEB made in 2000 that are incompatible with modern motherboards, with no warning at all of the PCI problem!

If I may, there is neither a general incompatibility with modern mainboards (MC said "often", not "always"), nor is this a PCI issue. The AEBs don't connect to PCI.

But what of all the other people that will fall into this trap?
it wont make a dent on your sales, that's why RME don't care. innocent people working hard to make money to buy these components. it will happen again to someone else, without some kind of warning, logic dictates.

I really don't see the problem - if the product won't work with your setup (or vice versa), just return it and ask your money back, and that's all there is to it. There is no "trap" whatsoever.
As far as sales are concerned, we have already sold all AEBs, nothing more to come - whatever stock may be unsold is with retailers now, who will happily sell it to those who are still looking for an AEB, and who I'm sure will as happily take it back if it can't operate correctly in combination with a specific mainboard.

While the trouble is certainly regretted (even though it may be due to the mainboard more than the AEB itself), the comment about "innocent people" is a slight bit overdone, IMHO. You might want to reconsider.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME