Topic: RME HAMMERFALL DSP MULTIFACE error light flashing

Hi, I am new to using the multiface and digital recording in general. I bought a Multiface from a guy, but didn't have any disks etc. I was able to download drivers from the web site and flashed my pci card, but now when I turn on my system, the error light is just flashing on my Multiface.

When I open the software for my multiface is just says I/O box - error.

I have XP home Service pack 2 anything else you need to know? Maybe I am doing stuff in the wrong order or loaded the wrong drivers??

Help please, very frustrated.

Kenn

Re: RME HAMMERFALL DSP MULTIFACE error light flashing

shadowdog wrote:

Hi, I am new to using the multiface and digital recording in general. I bought a Multiface from a guy, but didn't have any disks etc. I was able to download drivers from the web site and flashed my pci card, but now when I turn on my system, the error light is just flashing on my Multiface.

That happens when the power supply is insufficient - not enough current on start-up. So I think you either don't use the original power supply, or have a faulty PCI card.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by shadowdog 2007-05-05 06:41:34)

When you say the origonal power supply, can you use anotehr pci card to supply power? (that is the only thing supplying pwoer to mine.) Is the only way to know by trying a new PCI card?? Or are their some other tests I can try before doing that??

Kenn

shadowdog wrote:

When you say the origonal power supply, can you use anotehr pci card to supply power?

That question is unclear to me. You have more than one?

Simply use any powerful power supply you have lying around and use it for a test (specs see manual). If the problem stays it more looks like one of both components is defective. You can send them in for check/repair. Note that this has nothing to do with your flashing of the PCI card.

But you could (should) try another FireWire cable before sending the units in.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, now I am really confused. All I have is the multiface box, the pci card and the firewire cable, no other power supply. I thought power was supplied by my computer thru the pci card/firewire only. How do I plug in some other kind of power supply??

Kenn

Ok, I found the AUX, that must be for a power supply? How does the box not get enough power from the computer? Is there a BIOS setting or something that would regulate this or something. Everything I have read says the power supply is not needed if you have the PCI card (which I do.)

Kenn

shadowdog wrote:

Ok, I found the AUX, that must be for a power supply? How does the box not get enough power from the computer? Is there a BIOS setting or something that would regulate this or something. Everything I have read says the power supply is not needed if you have the PCI card (which I do.)

Are we trying to chase down a possible error or not?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

K guys, think I may have reached the end. I have tried the external power supply. When I initially plug it in the light stays red. I then turn on the computer and as soon as I click on my username to log into windows, the yellow lights under the Midi section light up and and the red error light starts flashing. I have shut down the PC (not just restart) about 100 times and nothing still.

I am thinking my next step is a new PCI card?? Do yours have the red light on all the time or just for a few seconds on start up. I can get mine to stay on if I unplug the firewire (and power supply) and then plug it back in. The light stays red, but the Software still says I/O Box - Error (at times it says Detected for a moment, then Error.)

Any other ideas would be great, does the PCI card seem like the next "step"??

Kenn

Hi,

you could try another Firewire cable first.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Yeah I will go uy another and try it. I have tried 2, but they both came with the unit, so it is possible they are both dogged I guess.

Kenn

Daniel,

I tried a new firewire and everything else suggested by people here and other sights. I have installed new drivers, bought external power supply, downloaded drivers, flashed the unit, and restarted about 500 times, still flashing. Someone on gearslutz.com mentioned they had to send theirs (unit or card) in to get updated for like $50, because theirs was an "older" unit. Does that sound right.

Kenn

shadowdog wrote:

Someone on gearslutz.com mentioned they had to send theirs (unit or card) in to get updated for like $50, because theirs was an "older" unit. Does that sound right.

No. After all your testing it seems that most probably the internal power supply of the Multiface has a problem and needs repair - not 'updating'.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

13 (edited by shadowdog 2007-05-11 05:54:23)

Is this a pricey fix (roughly, or am I better off just getting a new unit?) What are the steps I need to do to send it into you etc.?

Kenn

Oh and also, what is a rough ETA on getting it back? This stinks I JUST WANT TO RECORD.

Mr Fuchs, if it happens, that Multiface get damaged because of plugging it to firewire, is it fixable? It seems I just damaged mine... I plugged it by accident to a firewire port. When I realised the mistake, I unplugged it and connected it to the correct port and I got my Host Error led light ad the MF seems to not work. Any chance for fixing it?

Of course. Contact your local distributor.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for immediate reply, Mr Carstens. Fortunately after unconnecting PCI card from slot and reconnecting MF works perfectly correct again. It is a great piece of gear!