Topic: Recording active pick up EMG 81 with DI clipping

HI!

i record active emg 81 with FF400 input 3 ( DI input ), instrument and pad checked, gain at o.
My problem is that i am afraid my wave tracks are clipped...
the red led on the front of the FF 400 its not clipping but my cubase input fader clipps occasionally...so when i finish tracking riffs  its red on the bottom every time.the input fader it`s at 0 to.
my tracks looks ok but when i zoom in hard i see little clips in the wave.
i wonder if this is an FF400 issue or just the EMG 81 preamp clipps the signal before the input?
i read a topic about an EMG 81 mod from 9 v to 18 v and the guy said that after the mod the pick up has more gain less distorted and compressed signal but also changed the character of them and i may not like it.
anybody has the same problem here?what is the solution? your recommendations ?
thanks

Re: Recording active pick up EMG 81 with DI clipping

cigame wrote:

Turn the volume down on your guitar.

Agreed! The 81 has a wicked high output! You could also try using a DI box with a pad and running into a mic pre instead. Or make an inline pad to use before the FF input. If you use quality components it won't affect your sound.

The guy is right. The 9 - 18 Volt mod will give you alot more level but it will change the sound of your gat.

Isaac.

Yes this pickup has one hot preamp built in.
Unless you are striving for more dynamics, (& I doubt you do, as it will not feel as 'intense' anymore, & last time I checked these were not a Nashville favorite wink ..)

So what you need to do is either trim the volume via some active pedal ,
or just take it to a guitar tech to install a quality resistor in line with it,
Then again if you need all this gain for distortion usage, the pedal method is the best,
as it can be controlled/reversed etc.

Do you really need to enable the inst hi-z option?
Maybe the pad alone will be just fine?

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

That's correct, active pickups/instruments don't need Hi-Z.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME