Topic: Windows 7 Driver Petition

Dear Sirs,

I would like to request that a driver is written for Windows 7 64bit for the RME Digi96 series. The cards still work very well.  I paid a lot of money for them. PCI interface is still on new motherboards. The cards are far from obsolete. I am sure there are other people who would appreciate a driver for Windows 7 64bit. I only need ASIO, but perhaps other people need Windows drivers.

I know that this has been asked about before on this forum. However, this is a plea for support. It is a request for a driver to be written. I, and I'm sure many others, have no reason to buy another sound card. The card works well and does not need an upgrade. RME is known for it's excellent drivers and support. I would like to see this tradition continued.

Yours sincerely,

Simon

Re: Windows 7 Driver Petition

+1 :-)

sims, just a personal question, if I may... Since the card will do ASIO under W7 32 bit, what kind of application would most gain from the support for more RAM in W7 64? Software samplers etc., I believe - a DAW for audio recording doesn't need much RAM. Why would you want to run such applicatons with a card that is technically limited to 6 ms of latency and won't go lower, when you can have 1.5 or so with an AIO or similar card. Give progress a chance... cool

You may have paid some money for the card, but most likely, it will have exceeded the lifespan of most PC hardware several times and may have survived more than one change of CPU/mainboard. So it's done you a lot of good service for the price, has it not (how much did it cost you per year?), and would most likely be considered written off anyhow... You seem to accept the fact that you can't really run W7 64 on ten-year-old computer hardware.

Why not use it in a secondary or backup machine (always good to have), and go for an AIO, which is very reasonably priced, IMHO..
The fact that the card will work well in W7 32 means continous driver support for over 10 years, which is not something that can be said of all other soundcards from 1998...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME Support wrote:

...Give progress a chance... cool

Maybe you can keep your customers AND your sales dept. happy by starting an attractive trade-in program...

Nils

Hi RME Support,

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree. They have served me very well. Which is why I want to keep using them. They still work. I see no reason to get something else. Video editing software can make use of very large amounts of RAM.

I have an M-Audio delta 66 and it i still supported.

I'll look into the AIO, but honestly, I don't feel like buying another set of sound cards if the ones I have still work well.

Is it not possible to compile the ASIO driver as a 64 bit driver? I don't know how Windows drivers work. I'm sure it is a challenge and nothing to disregard.

I understand both sides of this thread.  My cards are old and could use a replacement.  Also the drivers have been updated for a very long time.  This being said they are exactly what I need at the moment and the fact is that there are enough real world situations that require more than 3.5 gigs of ram.  I am a producer not a recording engineer and find myself cramped after loading a couple large sampled instruments. Video is another story all together.

Would be great to see 64 bit Windows 7 drivers for these legacy cards.

All the best

If there was no driver signing requirement for 64bit.

Would it require much coding work to get them to run on 64bit?

That's a good point as I believe driver signing costs $$$...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

It was a bit of a loaded question to be honest smile

As there is a tool called DSO override. http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo

Which would bypass the Vista / W7 64but signature requirement. It is probably not reccommended to use. But if it's really just a signing cost, and IF the code modification is simple, maybe it would be a viable unsupported solution.

wouldnt hold my breath on this one, but you have my vote.
(not for the 'asio only' solution though ..)

11 (edited by Nip 2010-03-12 13:20:55)

I would be very pleased to have a 64-bit driver, too.

The driver now on my Digi 9636 is valid for all RME cards(except HDSP) if I remember right the statement in drivers list.

So updating to a 64-bit would apply to a very large number of cards, making all RME users happy.

What is new in 64-bit world must have been implemented for other cards already and could be moved to these older drivers too. There must be similarities.

ASIO only is fine, and if certain things like wordclock or other things would be limited or removed that would be fine too, by me anyway.

Even to pay for the driver would be fine by me.

Comments on DAW. Just a moderate sampler requires between 1-2 gig of ram.

Having hardware that is no longer supported is something easier to accept, than having hardware that still is ok and supported, but lack updated drivers.

I have always ran my RME in 128 samples latency(3 ms).

Nip wrote:

What is new in 64-bit world must have been implemented for other cards already and could be moved to these older drivers too. There must be similarities.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case. One major non-similarity, if you will, is the fact that older (pre-HDSP) cards do not have a way to update card firmware.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I also would realy like a Windows 7 64 bit driver!
For some reasons I still use this soundcard.

I was looking to buy a much more expensive RME solutions with multiple analog inputs to replace my Tascam DM4800 digital mixer.
Now I am afraid that if I spend +5000,- euro's on a RME solution in a few years I have a simular problem with the lack of Windows 8 driver support.

Still hope you create/release this driver.
I would also like to hear if it is absolutely sure that there will never be a W7 64 bit driver release in the future.

Regards,

Johan

Somehow these kind of threads always turn into ridiculous statements after some time.

Herewith I officially declare the obvious and often enough before stated: the DIGI96 series is no longer supported and therefore does not receive further driver updates.

This thread is closed. Newly opened threads on the same subject will be deleted.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME