Topic: No FireFace400/800 under snow leopard : A good alternative.

Hello.
As some of you, I bought a new mackbook pro running under snow leopard.
After six monthes of application crashes (both logic 8 and 9 quite almost every 20minutes) and kernel panics, I send it back to Apple, they told me the mackbook pro had no problems, every crash (even itunes or safari's one) were due to the fireface 400 drivers , even when the fireface was not plugged.

I spent two days searching on the internet which firewire sound card can replace my fireface 400 :
Anyone as a suggestion?

1) downgrading a bit with a motu utltralite, which is apparently not as good as a fireface in terms of latency,stability and quality of the preamps
2) Upradging, and taking the higher class, with something like a metric halo mobile 2882 or an Apogee Ensemble which are two time the price of a fireface !! hard to admit.

It's seems like there are no other soundcards like the fireface 400 in terms of quality...
If you could help me.

Thanks a lot!

Re: No FireFace400/800 under snow leopard : A good alternative.

Latency wise, I did not see anything better than the MotU Ultralite.
They seem to know how to write good drivers for Mac.
But the Fireface mixer is unbeaten.

UFX+, FireFace 802 FS, Digiface USB
12 Mic, M1610 pro, Micstasy
MacBookPro M1
Logic Pro X

has anyone tried a motu 828 mkII? what about the quality of the preamps compared to the Fireface ones.

Hello,

this is a support forum for RME gear. To discuss the merits of third-party-gear, please move this discussion e.g. to Gearslutz.

Besides, we have not heard of crashes caused by the FF driver in the absence of the actual hardware.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME