Topic: Fireface 400 - can I somehow get 5.1 sound working?

Hi. Happy Fireface 400 user for a long time...

I have a really quick question... I currently output to my onboard Realtek motherboard device for Windows bing-bong sounds and games, which in-turn connects to my Fireface 400 over an optical connection.  I obviously use my Fireface dedicated input\outputs for any audio work I do.

Is it somehow possible to connect a centre speaker, two rears and a sub to the Fireface and use 5.1 in games, but via the oboard sound driver?

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Re: Fireface 400 - can I somehow get 5.1 sound working?

No, & connecting it via the realtek spdif is not what Id call a pro setup anyway.
When gaming just change the Default audio device to the FF1+2 .. & youll get your 5.1 game sound.

If your speakers are connected to your FF (and not to a home-theater AVR with surround decoding), you'd need to send discrete 5.1 audio into the FF - likely using the Realtek's Analog Outs in to the FF's analog inputs - not very elegant IMO.  Otherwise, setting the default audio device to the FF 1/2 will only get you stereo sound - or an non-decodable bitstream if dealing with AC3/DTS bitstreams AFAIK...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Not true.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Which part?  How would the FF400 decode a 5.1 bitstream if that is what the game is spitting out - or how would he get an analog 5.1 signal out of the FF400 into 6 discrete speakers if playing a video game?  I'm admittedly not much of a gamer - so maybe I'm missing something :-)  Getting a stereo L/R signal into the FF400 is cake - but I believe he is wanting to do discrete surround w/o involving a Dolby/DTS AVR for decoding (speakers are connected directly to the FF400). The only way I see is to have the Realtek decode to 5.1 analog, and then feed that analog back into the FF400's analog inputs - and out to the speakers.

I'm sure I've missed something - and I know MC will chime in with the answer :-)

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX

Randyman... wrote:

Which part?  How would the FF400 decode a 5.1 bitstream if that is what the game is spitting out - or how would he get an analog 5.1 signal out of the FF400 into 6 discrete speakers if playing a video game?  I'm admittedly not much of a gamer - so maybe I'm missing something :-)  Getting a stereo L/R signal into the FF400 is cake - but I believe he is wanting to do discrete surround w/o involving a Dolby/DTS AVR for decoding (speakers are connected directly to the FF400). The only way I see is to have the Realtek decode to 5.1 analog, and then feed that analog back into the FF400's analog inputs - and out to the speakers.

I'm sure I've missed something - and I know MC will chime in with the answer :-)

cool

You missed practically everything, time to start reading.

Windows does all that automatically. And even better the newer the OS. And the Realtek does - of course - not have AC-3 decoding in hardware either.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

My mistake - I Forgot you could get Windows to do the decoding.  I use AC3/DTS pass-thru or 2-Ch SPDIF for my setup, thus my Windows Decoding ignorance.  I guess I do recall apps like VLC handling decoding and sending discrete outputs to my Multiface in the past...

cool

2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX