Topic: Using ProTools 8 with Fireface 800

Hi,

I made some search on both RME and Digidesign Forums, but as I am new in these things, I could not find a satisfactory answer to what I am looking for.  Maybe, I am not understanding what I am reading!

I have a Fireface 800 and an MBox 2 Pro.  I would like to bypass the MBox's preamps and converters and use my Fireface 800 with ProTools 8.0.3.  Currently, here is what I did:

- Connected the RME's S/PDIF Out to MBox's S/PDIF In;
- Connected the MBox's S/PDIF Out to RME's S/PDIF In; and
- Connected the RME's Word Clock Out to MBox's Word Clock In.

So, what am I supposed to do next on:

- ProTools' setup;
- Fireface Mixer; and
- Fireface Settings?

I would also like to use RME for monitoring.  I would appreciate any input for this.  Again, I apologize for the Recording 101 level question!  smile

Best regards,

Alper

Re: Using ProTools 8 with Fireface 800

Also, on my MacBook Pro, I have only one FireWire 800 port.  I am supposed connect, to my computer, only the MBox, right?

Thanks again.

Alper

This video covers the setup for FF800 stand alone operation. More details are in the manual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oibj81QIq4s

Once setup is complete you don't need to keep the FF800 connected via Firewire, but you can if you like.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you very much Jeff. 

I think I am fine with the physical connections using the S/PDIF.  I defined the RME as the Master and currently the S/PDIF and HOST lights are on, and MBox has the External Clock and MIDI lights on.  However, I have been having issues with the I/O definitions.  Also, ProTools keeps on giving me the error that there is an external clock issue; so the transport is stopped.

Any ideas?

Best,

Alper

Hello,

I have the same problems with my imac 24, fireface 800, mbox 2 pro connected on the fireface.

There is problem of clock issue, this is not stable, i reboot 1 or 2 times, and it works. I cant explain why. I have try to shut down all, and then start the fireface, then the computer and only after i start the mbox 2 pro, but it don't works...

Any solutions?

Alper,

It's better to use the Mbox as master, if you want to be able to change sample rates. The FF would be set to AutoSync, and Pref. Sync Ref.: SPDIF In. Otherwise, if you intend for the FF to be Master, activate DDS and define the desired sample rate there. Regarding I/O definitions, that would be a Pro Tools issue, so I can't help too much.

Pilonoos,

You did not provide any information that will allow us to help. Please describe what you have done so far, how devices are connected, what your settings are in the FF and the Mbox, etc.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Jeff, many thanks for your prompt answer.

Fireface is connected in Firewire 800 to the Imac 24. The mbox pro is connected in firefire 400 to the fireface. I need to listen and records with protools though the spdif connection for 2 reasons : Fireface converter and the possibility to use Digicheck that is necessary for good monitoring.

Fireface is set as master and protools clock to SPDIF.

The result is 3 / 4 time unstable.

On the fireface setting panel i can see the clock moving between 44,1 to 88,2 (and my system is clock to 44,1). Protool return me a clock problems...

Is it more clear?

A bit. You see the clock changing for SPDIF clock, or for System Clock? Which iMac is this? The last model before current has some bad problems with Firewire. See the last post here for chipset identification: http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4986

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Ok. I see the autosync ref freq changing. i have the last model before the actual series. I cant see the link between the spdif connection and the firewire connection...

Many thanks for your answer. I am going to check my Imac, and see the topic about this.

Hi Pilonoos,

What are the I/O settings on the Fireface Mixer and ProTools?  I have been able to make the transport work somehow, but I cannot send anything to my powered speakers which are connected to my Fireface 800.

Best,

Alper

Hi Fottin,

Fireface is set up as master. and protools is sync to SPDIF. In that way, I can listen the spdif output, and when it works, i can record though spdif input.

In order to do that, you have to set the level of the spdif input to the output connected to your speaker. Just it.

I have check the revision of my chipsets and its ok (revision 07). Normally I shouldn't have problems with my firewire port.

Any ideas?

Hi every body,

I just wanted to give a return of experiences.

Just to try another solution for my setup, i have bought a firewire 800 to 400. Then I have connected my mbox 2 pro with the cable to my imac and then my fireface in Firewire 400 (daisy chain). My Mbox 2 pro  I/O SPDIF is connected to the FIreface I/O SPDIF. In this way, i could listen my mix and records a track through the SPDIF connection and used digichek to monitor the input / output. Now there is no problems of Sync with protools with the SPDIF Connection. I always have problem when I start my fireface if my Imac is already in use. But i just have to restart my computer to start my fireface. Its not really a problem.

I hope it will help some user...