Topic: Is my Fireface UC broken??!

Hello all,

After many years of MOTU use and the subsequent spotty performance, I've jumped ship to RME. It's been amazing up to this point. I've had this gorgeous little Fireface UC box for just over a month and have been in heaven up till now. I moved to a new studio this weekend and somewhere along the way between the breaking down and setting back up, something happened to my FFUC. No computer will recognize it.

I've tried multiple USB cables, computers, etc. and no luck. It was SO easy to get going during the initial installation and I'm worried somthing BAD happened! I really need this thing to work so hopefully I'm missing some easy, little 'reboot' button or procedure that can get her recognized by a computer again.

Like I said, I've tried several computers - two different PCs (what I originally was using for audio) as well as a couple of Macs. None of them even recognize the unit is present. The YELLOW 48v / phantom power on channel 1 is always lit as is the RED Host light.

Any help for this RME newbie - or is this even the proper place to ask for support?

Thanks in advance,

Ross in TX

Re: Is my Fireface UC broken??!

You should check the correct firmware (PC or Mac) with a double click on the encoder (volume) knob. The click changes the firmware and displays the new mode. You could also try another USB2 cable. If the unit is defective please call your local distributor for a repair.

best regards
Knut

Yep I've tried that possibility and made sure the proper Mac/PC value is selected on all 4 different computers I've tried. Also tried multiple (3 or 4) USB cables. No change in the lights or operational status. I do appreciate the quick response though Knut! It's obvious why you guys have such a great reputation in the various audio communities.

Now here's something that could be important that I forgot to mention in my initial problem description: during my studio breakdown/move/re-setup two other pieces of USB gear also died on me w/o warning. A cheap Logitech keyboard and my favorite, not-so-cheap Kensington Trackball are now useless on every computer I try them on. Those two pieces were connected to my PC via a powerted USB hub and the FFUC was connected to the directly into the computer.

So now what?

Sorry, seems the UC is defective and needs a repair. If it does not work on other computers with working USB hardware it?s probably broken. Please call your local distributor for the necessary steps.

best regards
Knut