Topic: Fireface UC incompatibilities

After reading about the incompatibilities with VMware Fusion and Parallels in http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7741 I wonder if there are any other known SW incompatibilities with the Firface UC and if there would be any chance that the virtualisation SW problems could be resolved. (Un)fortunately I have to work with virtualisation SW a lot and would really like not to have 2 separate OS installations (work/music) any longer.

Any ideas? Rao

2 (edited by titirom 2010-03-24 13:37:00)

Re: Fireface UC incompatibilities

Hello rao,

After reading about the incompatibilities with VMware Fusion and Parallels in http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7741

For now, it's only a suspicion of USB driver bad interaction.(without parallels running)

I can't for now but my plan, if nobody do it before or if we haven't a report about continue problems on a non-virtualized system, is to completely reinstall snow leo without any visualization software.

Only after that we can say if yes or not we have incompatibility.

Of course, for now, do music with virtualization software running seems to not be a good idea :-)

Not that I have Parallels or the like installed, but I think it's absolutely ridiculous how incompatible the UC is, if you cannot run such programs at the same time as using the UC. We're talking about a $1500 interface, not a $200 M-Audio piece of junk. Sort it out. Please..........!

4 (edited by C+ODA 2010-03-24 12:06:56)

OK. Just had to reboot my Macbook Pro AGAIN. This time I had a few programs open and was listening to a WAV file in iTunes. Then all of a sudden the sound is cutoff and the Mac starts freezing on and off. I might have to trade in the UC for a Fireface 400 with a firewire connection. This is too unreliable.

Well, thanks a lot for your thoughts. For me it's either go for the HDSPe Multiface or AIO card then.

Rao

6 (edited by oblique strategies 2010-04-27 22:50:48)

C+ODA wrote:

OK. Just had to reboot my Macbook Pro AGAIN. This time I had a few programs open and was listening to a WAV file in iTunes. Then all of a sudden the sound is cutoff and the Mac starts freezing on and off. I might have to trade in the UC for a Fireface 400 with a firewire connection. This is too unreliable.

I recently got a FFUC, & I had to stop using it & go back to my Multiface I & expresscard. The FFUC was giving me similar problems. Here's a list along with their frequency:

1. Kernel Panics require force shutdown of computer (occasionally).
2. Stops outputting audio & will not allow connection via Audio/MIDI (occasionally).
3. Distorted audio (occasionally).
4. Kills 2nd USB port (frequently).
5. Audio stops when CD is inserted into optical drive (always).

Which MacBook Pro & OS are you using? I have an Early 2008 MacBook Pro 4,1 running OS X 10.5.8

No joy...

Anyone else experiencing any of these issues?

Hi oblique strategies. I have a MacBook Pro 2.33ghz (pretty sure it's from early 2008 too), running OS X 10.6.3. Like I said, the inability to select the Fireface as an output and/or input device in the audio devices is one problem that still lurks. The distortion has not been present for about a week now.

Best of luck sorting it out. I have faith that RME will sort these issues out in time.

8 (edited by oblique strategies 2010-06-18 13:59:00)

I have figured out what was disabling the the 2nd USB port on my MacBook Pro: it is actually the 2 USB ports on the Apple 24" aluminum Cinema Display that become disabled, & not the second port on the computer.

I also have a workaround to the problem of the FFUC becoming disabled whenever I insert a CD/DVD into the optical drive: simply de-select the FFUC in Audio/MIDI in OS X, insert the disc, then re-enable the FFUC.