Topic: FF800 optical spdif input question

Hi,

I understand that I can pipe optical spdif into the second ADAT port on my FF800, and that this optical input can handle up to 192KHz. I'm wondering when working at 192KHz, what is the max number of channels the 2nd ADAT port (set to spdif) can receive?

I'm aware that the coaxial spdif input on FF800 is restricted to 2 channels only. My specific requirement is to route 4 channels of digital audio from an A/D box (Forssell MADC-4 which outputs 24-bit/192KHz) via spdif through my FF800 and into my DAW. I'm hoping the 2nd ADAT port can accommodate the Forssell in this way.

BTW I plan to slave the FF800 to the Forssell clock.

Thanks in advance

Re: FF800 optical spdif input question

I don't see an MADC-4 on the Forssell website - got specs?

SPDIF is always 2 channels only...

Also, you can't have optical and coax SPDIF input simultaneously with the FF800.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the reply,

Fred is making the MADC-4 as a custom order at the moment although I believe it will eventually be on the website as a standard item. It's basically the MADC-2 x 2 in 1RU.

I suspected that the channel limit was constrained by the spdif protocol itself. Thanks for the clarification.

James

4 (edited by adebar 2010-03-29 08:53:28)

jameshanly wrote:

Thanks for the reply,

Fred is making the MADC-4 as a custom order at the moment although I believe it will eventually be on the website as a standard item. It's basically the MADC-2 x 2 in 1RU.

James

Yes that?s right. Both the MADC-2 and MDAC-2 are now available as 4 channel version and named MADC-4 and MDAC-4.

No statement here in this RME forum about quality or even comparison between RME or Forssell, would be bad style here. As german importer I just want to confirm the availabilty of the 4 channel versions from now on.

Roland Storch