1 (edited by jwloader 2010-04-01 13:29:22)

Topic: FireFace 400 - no audio, showing System Clock frequency as -1073748

Hi RME,

My FireFace 400 has suddenly started exhibiting strange behaviour. Up until now it has been running on my early 09 Mac Pro and mid-2009 Macbook Pro using bus power without any problems at all.

Overnight nothing has changed (software versions / updates or installed hardware) yet today when I switched on my Mac Pro, the FireFace 48v mic pre 1 LED was illuminated. I checked the FireFace settings applet - and phantom power wasn't enabled for mic pre 1. I switched phantom power on and off from FireFace settings but the LED won't go out.

ALSO the System Clock frequency is showing as -1073748 and no audio can be heard from the device.

I checked my audio settings in Logic to make sure that the FF was selected as the output device, then I opened up the FireFace mixer application to see if the output was reaching the mixer on outputs 1+2 - there is no activity on the meters.  I then checked the matrix to ensure the routing was OK - Out 1 + Out 2 correspond to AN1 + AN2 exactly as before.

I also tried selecting the FF as the sound effects output in System Preferences - the FF is listed in the drop-down box but checking the FireFace meters also shows no audio output to AN1+AN2.

I checked that the FireFace was enabled in Audio MIDI Setup - all looks correct there.

I then tried reflashing the FireFace with the Flash Updater for firmware V1.69.  The Flash Updater shows the current firmware version as 0.00.  When I clicked Update I got the error message "Failed with error 20000000".

I've tried replacing the Firewire cable with a working one from my external FW hard drive.  Still not working.

RME - what else can I do please?!  I think I've exhausted my options - my unit is out of it's first year's warranty but still covered under the 2 year warranty (serial no. 22858865)

Many thanks,

James

Re: FireFace 400 - no audio, showing System Clock frequency as -1073748

These could be symptoms of Firewire problems. But if you get the same behavior on the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro, then it seems like the unit needs service.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by jwloader 2010-04-01 13:29:31)

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for the rapid reply.  Yes I forgot to mention it does happen on both the Mac Pro and the Macbook Pro - I've been regularly interchanging between the two for studio and mobile work (both machines run the same software revisions across the board) and it's been fine up until now.

EDIT: I also tried reinstalling the latest drivers but to no avail.

I guess I need to contact Synthax UK during business hours then?

Thanks and regards,

James

Yes, at least to get a bench test.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Since you can still load the Fireface Settings try these:

First try to read the "Flash" *from* the FF back to the driver. If that brings no change try the other way around to flash the driver settings to the FF. If both don't help then I guess it's Service time. HeadScratch

6 (edited by jwloader 2010-04-01 13:29:39)

Update: the FireFace very randomly started working when I booted up my Macbook Pro this morning, so I did a quick output test via the System Preferences Sound applet, satisfied myself there was proper output via AN1+2 and PHL+R
to the speakers and headphones respectively, then shut down and moved it over to my Mac Pro since that's where my UAD plugs are.

Worked for about 20 mins without issue inside Logic, then suddenly a loud buzzing sound came from the left channel, Logic displayed the beachball for a couple of minutes, then told me there was a System Overload.  It seems to be okay now, but I'm feeling pretty uneasy about it being reliable enough for me to use for live use.

Timur - I tried both reading the settings from FF - host and host to FF - that didn't work; the system clock kept displaying -1073748.

Definitely going to book it in for a test to be on the safe side.

Cheers,

James