Topic: 3012 Not Working With SONAR

Was getting blue screens with SONAR 8.5.3 / Win7 / and 291 ... so on advice of support went to 3012 ... SONAR would not recognize the FireFace anymore - kept telling me something about being incompatible or wrong format .. sometimes would work for a little bit then tell me it had disconnected the Fireface. After couple hours of trying everything, downgraded to 29992 and all is perfect again.

KenM

Re: 3012 Not Working With SONAR

That sounds like user error. 3012 requires you to set up the correct sample rate first, maybe even the system sound Loudspeaker setting, then the correct buffer size. And as it changes so much maybe you even have to delete old preferences within Sonar.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Well ... I guess I'll ask the obvious question first .... why in the heck would you create a driver where I had to do all that? What happened to PLUG N PLAY? I hope that's just for the Beta? I mean ... having to go in and change that manually or the whole thing goes whacky? You have to be kidding?

Having said that ... I DID play with a lot of stuff there to try and get it to work. Do you have any kind of guide to specific steps for SONAR?

The driver does not require all this as long as you did not have an older driver installed which works completely different (note that all this is a theory so far, your problems indeed simply should not exist).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I guess I'm not understanding then .... Of course I had an older driver installed ... the 91 driver. All I know is that I tried everything I could think of in the SONAR and Fireface settings for two hours ... and I'm not a novice at this. I deleted and rebuilt aud.ini ... restarted multiple times ... checked to make sure sample rate and depth were same ... tried other settings ... no happiness ...

Finally I installed the 92 driver and instantly ... all was well. If there are some very specific things or order to do things in to get it to work in SONAR, could you please provide this info?

6 (edited by Timur 2010-04-03 16:19:20)

My experiences with Sonar 8.5 and FF400 3.012 on (bootcamped) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit so far. This is a clean installation of Sonar 8.5 with all new files (including aud.ini):

- WDM/KS does not work (onboard Realtek works). The Wave profiler lists the currently set Samplerate as being supported, but Sonar still claims all inputs/outpus not working and suggest to turn them off (tried ignore that and play anyway, but no output).

- WASAPI works on channel 1/2 with buffer larger than than 15 ms. Wave profiler lists the currently set Samplerate as being supported by channels 1 and 8, but using any channels other than 1/2 leads to silence in Totalmix. While playing around I had one system freeze right after creating a new empty set.

- MME32 works with buffers larger than 20 ms (onboard Realtek works with smaller buffers). Any samplerate can be used and is send through Windows' mixer (SRC) like expected. Incidently the 20 ms buffer is exactly the same that is needed in Reaper for WDM to work.

- ASIO does not work most of the time. Sonar reports the ASIO device to be busy or not supporting the format. There is no connection between Sonar and the FF driver as can be seen via FF Settings Samplerate (not greyed out, does not change with Sonar's setting). *Sometimes* I managed to get ASIO working though after changing from MME to ASIO.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit seem to behave the same. A short try with Sonar 8.3 didn't reveal any differences. I'm not sure if Midi is working either, but didn't check in detail.

7 (edited by Timur 2010-04-03 16:18:58)

I made some changes to my original post. First I claimed that WASAPI would not work, but it does with restrictions.

Well, looks like we overlooked to check the special WDM KS mode. Will do after the easter holidays.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I failed to mention that I am using ASIO ... I did try WDM in my experiments ... nothing worked ... ASIO is what I care about mostly. Seeing Timur say that it "does NOT work most of the time" ... validates what I found also.

Thanks,
KenM

Thanks for trying. It seems there is more on this driver to work than we expected. Therefore I removed this version again. New one in the works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I had the same problem as KenM - Sonar could not open 3012 ASIO anymore. MME mode was the only that have sound out but it was very stuttered.
Adobe Audition 3 freezed when I tried to open Audio Settings.
In fact, only program that worked in my system was Winamp with ASIO plugin.

BTW, new layout of FF settings dialog looks nice smile.

-Panu

sonarmods.com

Timur wrote:

My experiences with Sonar 8.5 and FF400 3.012 on (bootcamped) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit so far. This is a clean installation of Sonar 8.5 with all new files (including aud.ini):

- WDM/KS does not work (onboard Realtek works). The Wave profiler lists the currently set Samplerate as being supported, but Sonar still claims all inputs/outpus not working and suggest to turn them off (tried ignore that and play anyway, but no output).

- WASAPI works on channel 1/2 with buffer larger than than 15 ms. Wave profiler lists the currently set Samplerate as being supported by channels 1 and 8, but using any channels other than 1/2 leads to silence in Totalmix. While playing around I had one system freeze right after creating a new empty set.

- MME32 works with buffers larger than 20 ms (onboard Realtek works with smaller buffers). Any samplerate can be used and is send through Windows' mixer (SRC) like expected. Incidently the 20 ms buffer is exactly the same that is needed in Reaper for WDM to work.

- ASIO does not work most of the time. Sonar reports the ASIO device to be busy or not supporting the format. There is no connection between Sonar and the FF driver as can be seen via FF Settings Samplerate (not greyed out, does not change with Sonar's setting). *Sometimes* I managed to get ASIO working though after changing from MME to ASIO.

Both 32-bit and 64-bit seem to behave the same. A short try with Sonar 8.3 didn't reveal any differences. I'm not sure if Midi is working either, but didn't check in detail.

Thanks for saving me typing most of this. hmm

13 (edited by jamesanderson 2010-04-09 00:01:31)

Byt3 wrote:
Timur wrote:

Thanks for saving me typing most of this. hmm

Same for me.  I am brand new to Sonar and have spent the last umpteen hours trying to get any output presented.

Config: Win 7 64bit, Sonar 8.5.1.148, RME400 3.012.  No output on any settings.  Playback through iTunes, VLC, Adobe Premier, Reaper) all OK but may not mean anything in this situation - to much a novice at this still.

UPDATE:  Got Sonar working but had to select MME (32- bit) and set the latency way up to 140msecs. Still looking to get ASIO working.  Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Jim

14 (edited by Byt3 2010-04-10 20:37:50)

UPDATE:  Got Sonar working but had to select MME (32- bit) and set the latency way up to 140msecs. Still looking to get ASIO working.  Any recommendations would be most welcome.

Jim

Unlike the HDSPs' There are no MME Drivers for the Fireface, & never were, so you are definitely not using MME.
What you are using is essentially proxied DS WDM of some sort.

It appears we willl have to wait for an update & retest.

MC wrote:

Thanks for trying. It seems there is more on this driver to work than we expected. Therefore I removed this version again. New one in the works.

Any time frame on this activity MC?