Topic: VST System Link

Perhaps you can help me with trying to connect a second HP workstation XPpro  to my existing recording system Via VST System Link.
Specs: I have
Cubase 5
XPPro HP XW4400 workstation
1 HDSPe MADI  CARD
1 ADI-648
1 ADI-8 QS  - 8 Analog In & Out
1 X Fireface 800 (  configured Stand Alone) 8 Analog In & Out
1 X OctaMic D ? 8 Analog In & Out
1 X OctaMic II ? 8 Analog In & Out

This System then has 32 channels of  AD/DA @ 96K Sample Rate
I can get an relatively inexpensive ASIO sound card for the Second computer with SPDIF out but how do I connect it to the existing system as I need a digital connection via SPDIF or AES ?

Truth, Valour, Honour

Re: VST System Link

You will need a sound interface on the second machine with SPDIF or AES and an ASIO driver and a VST System Link driver (this could be another instance of Cubase, Nuendo, or any app with VST System Link). Now, connect the digital out of first machine to digital in of second machine. Then, connect digital out of second machine to digital in of first machine. You can do this with as many digital in/out pairs that you want to use. Just like any digital interface you will need to set the clocks in synch on both machines and set one as master, one as slave. Make sure sample rates are the same on both applications (Cubase on machine one, whatever you have on machine two). Check your TotalMix settings, you don't want any feedback loops. Activate VST System Link on both machine's apps. You can now stream audio back and forth (you will need to set up some busses) and send and receive timecode and transport signals and MIDI.

Good luck. I have done this a few times. It is really not that hard, just pay attention to the I/O's and settings. If you are successful, congratulations! You will have a mondo, sample-accurate, virtual RAID for tracking (or perhaps a full blown 24-bit Halion Orchestra offloaded on one machine and a 6 piece metal band on the other).

Marty Laye - Owner/Engineer
mobilatracks.com

Re: VST System Link

Thanks Marty for your help on this.

I am still not sure I can connect the second computer with a new SPDIF or AES sound card to my existing system? The HDSPe has Madi and MIDI in/outs only? The ADI-8 QS has an AES in ( not used ) as it is connected to the ADI-648 via the two ADAT in/outs as the system is 32 Channel 96Khz.

Perhap the solution is to not use the 8 analog in's on the ADI-8 QS and configure it for Digital AES input? Not sure that would work? I use the ADI-8 QS for analog outs to Control Room Monitors and the 8 analog ins are convenient in the control room as well.

Paul Gallant
Eutuxos Studio

Truth, Valour, Honour