Topic: Multiface 1 and Octamic 2 D

Hello Friends,

I have the multiface 1 and the Octamic and they are connected through ADAT.  When I record bas or Guitar I use a Radial DI box.  But I would liek to put some " Tu be" and warmth into the recording ?.  What should I buy to get this ?

I was thinking of a Avalon U5, but can I put a pre amp on top of the Octamic as it has preamp in it self ?.  Or should it just be a " tube compressor DI box, without the Pre Amp"

Can you give me some good advice.

Thanks

Michael

2 (edited by Randyman... 2010-04-05 20:34:30)

Re: Multiface 1 and Octamic 2 D

The U5 is not tube - it is a quasi-steril (clean) high-voltage Solid State DI with some tone shaping built in if desired.  It is a GREAT DI and particularly shines on its low-end tightness (practically goes to DC!), but not exactly a "Flavor Saver".  For warmth and harmonics, I'd lean more towards something like a Redd DI or similar. 

I picked up an older HHB Classic-80 tube pre that does wonders on bass when driving the tubes hard (crank the gain for warmth/harmonics, reduce the output to the AD to avoid clipping).  I use one channel for DI (U5) and the other channel for the Bass Mic (421) - the combo of both captures a good deal of rich harmonics that help the bass hold up in denser mixes w/o getting lost and w/o being overly bass heavy. 

There are also lots of good colorful/personality mic pre's that also have DI inputs on the front - you get dual functionality out of them instead of buying a dedicated DI...

The SansAmp Bass Driver DI thingy also gets rave reviews for adding just a bit of "Dirt" to make the bass stand out w/o being "pokey"...

Of course, a GREAT bass played well is the obvious starting point...

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Ok thanks Randyman :-) .  Yes I like the a bit of dirt on the things I record.

But can I use something with a preamp when it goes into the Octa Mic 2 which is also a pre amp ? .  Or should it only be a plain DI box for Instuments ?

What about the Vocal ? . Should I buy a Tube Condensator mic instead of something to put between the mic and the Octa Mic 2 ? . Right now I am using a Rode NT 1000 for Vocals

Thanks

Michael

I'm not familiar with the Octamic-II, but most any Mic Pre I'm familiar with has a "Line Input" in addition to the Mic Input - or at the very least will have a -20dB pad to facilitate hotter line level inputs.  Most dedicated DI boxes spit out a quasi-mic level signal anyways that actually NEEDS a mic pre behind it - but some do send out hotter line levels that don't require further gain.

This is all subjective, and there is no "Buy this mic if you want a warm vocal" or "buy this DI for a killer bass sound".

cool

MADIface-XT+ARC / 3x HDSP MADI / ADI648
2x SSL Alphalink MADI AX
2x Multiface / 2x Digiface /2x ADI8

Yes it is the same with Octamic 2 D.  It has also Line input.  So I think i can just add another Pre amp like the U5 in fron of the octamic or the Avalon VT737 that I have been thinking of also.

But as you say it is all " subjective". But thanks for the advice :-)

Michael