Topic: winXP and FF800

Silence from the mods usually means 1) the question is really dumb, or 2)we don't know the answer yet.  I'm too dumb to figure which one is correct, so-

Question, short version:
Lots of us still use Windows XP Home - should we just stay at FF800 firmware 2.47 and driver 2.95? No need for the "latest" if it goes  funktionsstorung.

Question, long version:
I am using firmware 2.47 and driver 2.95.  (Windows XP Home edition, Cubase SX3).  Works fine.
From Matthia's  posts in the driver update thread, it looks like Drivers from 2.998 onward require firmware 2.77.       But as per recent posts, an older FF800 unit like mine (~2004) might malfunction with firmware 2.77 or beyond.
I don't do things requiring a TCO.

So.....should I just stay with firmware 2.47, and if so, what's the latest Driver version to use beyond 2.95.....or just stay with 2.95 ?

I get the impression that there are still a Lot of people in the PC who have - and will - stay with Windows XP as long as they can, for stability reasons.
So maybe my question might be helpful for the XP people in general...?
(I've asked Syntax (usa support) as well)
Thank you.

Re: winXP and FF800

I thing there are some reasons why you did not get any answer. From my bitter experience - stay where you are and wait till things get clear (and hope it happens).

There are many users who don't see the need to upgrade to something beyond WinXP.  Dual-cores and over 2GB of RAM will offer little or no improvement for live work or for many applications, unless you're using IR reverbs or VSTi's.

And there is no improvement in Microsoft's support for firewire as you get into their newer OS's.

I've found it most helpful in my live work to seek out older Pentium-M laptops with XP Pro, put in the max 2GB of RAM and work that way.  And if you're not recording, you don't even need 7200rpm (or faster) drives.

Sometimes newer/faster isn't necessarily better.

That being said, I usually keep current on firmware and driver updates for both my FF800/400 and my Digifaces, and my HDSPe ExpressCard and my HDSP Cardbus cards.

Ira

WhiteOrange, you can mail me the serial number, then I can find out whether the unit would need a modification.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

@Daniel Fuchs,
May I please email you as well with the serial number of my FF800?

Thanks,

dadgad

Thanks everyone, your advice is very much appreciated!
yes Daniel I'll email you the serial number.

Ira, I'm using a PC Pentium4 3.4 gig processor, 2 GB RAM, 2 hard drives, 7200 rpm. I use it for recording, not live. With enough softsynths and certainly with convolution reverbs, it will crackle and slow and crash, but I've learned the little tricks about freezing tracks and instruments, just applying the reverbs on mixdown, and basically collapsing things to individual WAV files along the way (...kind of like the old analog tape!..:)  and the system works fine.

dadgad251 wrote:

@Daniel Fuchs,
May I please email you as well with the serial number of my FF800?

Sure, please do, if you haven't already done so.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME