Topic: Fireface UC and Fireface 400 bandwidth

I've just bought a Fireface 400 this week which I've now got working fine. However, it's going to be a major pain for me to use firewire going forward so I was looking at swapping for Fireface UC while I can (ASAP).

Like I said, the FF 400 is now working fine on a Dell Inspiron with dual core 2ghz, gm45 chipset. It also has the ICH9 usb controllers which I read are probably necessary.

I've read that the UC reserves bandwidth on the USB bus, but why haven't devices done this before which would ultimately trumped firewire long ago? Can USB 2.0 really be as solid as Firewire for solid 2 way data streaming?

Re: Fireface UC and Fireface 400 bandwidth

Can USB 2.0 really be as solid as Firewire for solid 2 way data streaming?

It can. But - as always - it depends on the chipsets. See here.

best regards
Knut

Admin Knut wrote:

Can USB 2.0 really be as solid as Firewire for solid 2 way data streaming?

It can. But - as always - it depends on the chipsets. See here.

best regards
Knut

Thanks, I've already checked and the GM45 and the other components are compatible.

OK, on an optimal chipset / machine etc., will the UC be as stable - not necessarily performant - as the FF400. I've been googling like crazy about this and what I've read about USB 2.0 vs firewire  in general is conflicting. I was hoping for a bit more of technical explanation from the horse's mouth, so to speak, if only to satisfy my curiosity wink

4 (edited by Dr Tone 2010-04-08 15:03:37)

I had a 400 and also swapped to a UC.  I find the UC more stable at low buffer settings.  I use the UC in a live environment, 5 tracks with multiple effects out to our mains and to our monitors.  Recording at the same time.

96samples not a single hickup, 2ms of latency.  PM45 chipset in my laptop.

But I also have a crappy Ricoh firwire chipset.  With it getting tougher and tougher to find laptops with native TI chipsets, USB was the only option for me.  The UC is the first USB device I tried that actually worked as advertised.