Topic: PCIe Card Installation / Power

I ordered my PC with the Multiface II/PCIe cards combo via the university.  When the the machines arrived, the PCIe card was already installed by the IT team and they left me without a manual.  So, I am wondering if the PCIe cards are installed correctly.  How does this sound? 

The PCIe card is seated in the PCIe slot and the 4-pin AUX power connection has been hooked into the power cable harness off the hard drive.  I have looked at some PDF manuals online.  It says nothing much about "make sure you plug the PCIe card into the power harness of your computer".  My red host light is forever lit and I am wondering if the card has been fried or the voltages to the card are incorrect.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: PCIe Card Installation / Power

There is no need to connect the PCIe card to mainboard power.
Whether or not the cards have been damaged is probably something that only the factory can determine. What kind of cable was used for this connection?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Daniel:

Thank you for the speedy reply. 

I disconnected the cable which had been installed, a four pin molex type cable -- such as this http://forums.pcworld.com/legacyimages/ … nector.jpg -- which branched off the hard drive power line to a smaller 4-pin female molex which fit the PCIe card perfectly . . . as if it was 'supposed to be that way.'

All that said, now the card with Multiface 2 is working as expected under Linux Ubuntu after a relatively strightforward install.  I need to have it running under Fedora, so I will be over in the RME/Linux forums soon.

Thanks again,

Jason

Good - so at least there does not seem to be any damage.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME