Topic: Digiface - Cubase 5 - no speakers with Hammerfall ASIO

Hi, I can't get the Hammerfall drivers to setup correctly in Cubase 5.

I get speakers as output option and audio using all but the ASIO Hammerfall DSP drivers which only offers ADAT 1 (left) and ADAT 2 (Right).

-Why am I not getting my analogue output speakers option and how do I get sound out my speakers using the Hammerfall ASIO?

I'm stumped on why the ASIO Hammerfall doesn't offer the same analogue out as the other driver settings?

How do I set it up right when I'm only getting the ADATs as output?

Happy Easter.

Patrick

Re: Digiface - Cubase 5 - no speakers with Hammerfall ASIO

These ADAT channels are the first pair in the Digiface, if you are trying to use the Phones output you have to add this bus in Cubase VST connections.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Hi Jeff thanks for your reply.

OK, that makes sense, but in the drop down i don't see the phones, I see ADAT 1-24 and SPDIF L and R.
http://patrickytting.com/wp-content/uploads/busses.JPG
http://patrickytting.com/wp-content/uploads/device.JPG

Patrick.

Correct, the phones are mixer outputs only and have to be routed to one of the shown channels to work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the replies.

OK, I've read the totalmix and matrix parts of the manual, I've watched the vids too, and I have somewhat of an understanding what I'm faced with however I'm still finding this a struggle:

So, at the moment I get no activity on meters within Cubase with the ASIO Hammerfall DSP in use despite there being an audio file there to playback. This is with the audio track stereo bus for the track set as per the VST connections Stereo ADAT 1&2, fine.

-There is nothing to route in Totalmix in the software playback, so I presume matrix routing is what I need to fix?

I need to understand how the ADAT 1 and ADAT 2 left and right are supposed to be routed to the phones in the Matrix?

I have Totalmix and Matrix open and have tried a few things but I just can't figure it out.
What do I route in Matrix so that ADAT 1 and 2 route to my phone output so I see activity in cubase and hear the sound?

Regards
Patrick.

Your problem is the basic configuration in Cubase. Go to the inputs and outputs and hit reset. You MUST see all 26 channels of the Digiface there. Then assign the ones you need with VST Connections.

No level meter in TotalMix - no signal.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Maraskandi wrote:

I need to understand how the ADAT 1 and ADAT 2 left and right are supposed to be routed to the phones in the Matrix?

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5039

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi, thanks for your patience, but I fear that either I am stupid, or perhaps I have not been clear enough.

-I have used the RME digiface and totalmix for about 2 years, it used to be with ableton live and I never have had trouble.
-I am meant to see a signal in total mix, along the centre, at the far left
-I understand how to use totalmix to route signals to the phones when there is a signal to route.

This all is fine with the generic low latency ASIO and with the Duplex in Cubase when there is resultant playback.

However! When I select the ASIO Hammerfall DSP, bham, guess what, no metering movement in Cubase, thus I can't do any routing in Totalmix 'cause no signal from the audio or in the Cubase mixer at all.

-This is despite setting all the available ADAT buses - that's all 26 of them - to separate audio tracks and trying them one by one with an audio file, still nothing responds.

Here are screenshots that show what I see.
http://patrickytting.com/wp-content/upl … signal.JPG
http://patrickytting.com/wp-content/upl … signal.JPG
http://patrickytting.com/wp-content/upl … driver.JPG

Here is my Cubase.net thread (my steinberg keys are registered, I am an official user) where a Multiface user has offered help and is also apparently stumped as to why I get no signals:

http://forum.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopi … 510#967510

Btw, thanks for the video link, but as I say in post 5 I've already watched the vids several times and I can't quite glean from them how to fix my specific issue.

Hope everybody is having a good easter and I look forward to your good advice.

Best regards

Patrick.

What driver version and firmware are you using? Did you hit Reset for the inputs and outputs?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Driver version 3.08.3
Harware revision 55

Have also tried with driver 2.94(6) but the drivers are presumably perfectly fine as its just that all is dead in Cubase.
I have tried reset several times in devices to no effect.

I am currently using an alternative soundcard so I can work. The bonus being that I can use the RME for Media Player and other stuff whilst using my other card in Cubase, but ofcourse I'd rather I was using my Pro equipment for Cubase.

I do not see any obvious error in your screenshot. You said that you used more than one stereo pair (the screenshot shows only stereo), please test this with at least 4 channels assigned to the first 4 ADAT channels via VST connections. I remember strange effects when using only 2 channels in former Cubase versions. Otherwise I do not know what's wrong here.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi Matthias, can you clarify what you mean with the channel setup I don't understand.
Do you mean
Stereo out     ADAT 1
                   ADAT 2
Stereo out2   ADAT 3
                   ADAT 4
Stereo out3   ADAT 1
                   ADAT 2
Stereo out4   ADAT 3
                   ADAT 4

This way I can still only assign the main mix to one bus.

Stereo out     ADAT 1
                   ADAT 2
Stereo out2   ADAT 3
                   ADAT 4

Would be enough.

Stereo out3   ADAT 1
                   ADAT 2
Stereo out4   ADAT 3
                   ADAT 4

Is not possible then as already assigned.

> This way I can still only assign the main mix to one bus.

Copy the track and assign it to 3/4, now you should have a 4 channel playback in TotalMix.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Stereo out     ADAT 1
                   ADAT 2
Stereo out2   ADAT 3
                   ADAT 4

Fair enough, have done that. No meter activity yet.

> This way I can still only assign the main mix to one bus.

>>Copy the track and assign it to 3/4, now you should have a 4 channel playback in TotalMix.

Copy what track, you mean have the same audio file in 2 audio tracks? One assigned to stereo 1 and the other to stereo 2.
Doesn't make sense to me as its still not making a difference to the functionality of the Hammerfall ASIO in Cubase. Oh well.

First of all it's just not working, secondly why would I want 4 channel playback per se just to make it work, would I then have to always have two tracks per project or something weird? Don't understand quite.

Anyway I wish I had a Fireface 800 and not a Digiface. In fact, I should sell and upgrade to a Fireface, is stupid having to dive around the back of my preamps to plug in microphones anyway. Its my birthday next month, so time to get smart.. Hmm, as long as I don't sell to an unsuspecting cubase user, if there's some weird compatability problem I've encountered...

I have a friend with a digiface. I can examine this further to see if his responds the same way and see if installing cubase on his machine he gets the same with his unit, etc. Bloody load of hassle, but it surely must be worth finding out if the unit is faulty or what else could be going on, as it really truly is bizarre, and very infuriating.