Topic: FF400 - More inputs

Hi all

I have a FireFace 400 that I am extremely happy with.  I have been recording more and more and now I am planning to start recording some bands.  The problem is I need more inputs.  I will need at least 12 inputs just for the drum kit. 

I have never used SPDIF or ADAT before but I believe that I can purchase a unit that will allow me to have more inputs.  What would I need to get or would it be worth me selling the 400 and purchasing a new interface?

Cheers
Steve

Re: FF400 - More inputs

I use 2 x Behringer ADA8000 connected via ADAT with my FF800, but you can link 1 to your interface no probs. Nice and hot, quite bright but a good unit at a very cheap price.

OK cool

So I can connect any A/D Convertor to the ADAT on my FF400?
With the 400 am I right that I can only add in another 8 channels?

If I wanted to record a drum kit, for example, would the OctaMic II connected to the ADAT of my 400 do the job?  Could I plug straight into that and then bring up each channel within Logic 9? 

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, I am trying to get my head around ADAT and SPDIF as I have never used it.

Cheers
Steve

Your ADAT input will only allow another 8 channels, correct.

Yep, the Octamic is a nice piece of kit and would allow the 8 channels. Your DAW will recognise the extra inputs and you would set each channel input using the gain knobs on the octamic. You can use your Logic 9 to set the playback levels, not the recording levels.

Recording drums is fun! Watch that hi hat - it goes eveywhere!!!

Lovely, cheers Andy - I think I understand it all a whole lot more now.

I think I am going to purchase the Behringer Ada8000 like you have.

Now all I need to do is also purchase some mics.
I have an AKG C1000 for hats, SM57 for snare (think I might get a different mic for this though).
I am planning on buying a D112 for kick but not to sure what to get for Toms and Overheads and whether or not I should get a better hi-hat mic too...  I have about ?450 - ?600 for the lot (mics wise).

Audix make nice drum mics. D6/D4/D2/ADX-51...

Good man Steve, the Behringers are great value, phantom power and the gain is pretty good, but they're a hot signal anyway. Like i said, a little bright, but in the same breath can bring some nice top end into a mix.

Mics, you're on your own!! smile

Shure SK16 is a great mic for hats as the range is so small it doesn't pick anything else up, not even the snare. Tone not magnificent but being able to seperate something like that is a wonderful tool.

Seinhesier mics are good for drums, about ?600 a set though. Best to get  mics with a good rejection, makes mixing ALOT easier. E604 on the snare is good for isolation as well, tonal sacrifice compared to SM57, but you always end up with so much hi-hat in there anyway it's wasted.

All about mic placement and a good kit. But, at our level you're always going to have to compromise.

good luck!

Thanks for your replies.

Never heard of a Shure SK16 before?

steve3186 wrote:

Thanks for your replies.

Never heard of a Shure SK16 before?

I'm an idiot. I don't know where i got that model from, it's a shure 16A. Apologies! wink