Topic: 3.082 / 3.083 connectivity issue with Nuendo

I've begun to experience a strange issue with Nuendo 4.3 and the newer 3.082 and 3.083 WDM drivers under W7-64. I have a Multiface + PCI and HDSP9652 in this system. Sometimes I launch Nuendo and it just doesn't connect to the card. If I try to reset the card via the Nuendo interface, the Nuendo window is overlayed in white and I can't do anything but kill the process. Sometimes restarting Nuendo works, but more often I have to restart the machine, or even shut it down completely and reboot before normal operation is established. After that Nuendo works fine until I quit it and start it up again; then sometimes it works and sometimes it dies.

Apart from the drivers, the only change lately in my MO is that I keep the computers on all the time; I used to shut them down almost daily, but because my system backups are now automated I don't bother turning off the machines anymore. However, none of my other hosts exhibit this behavior so it must be an issue with the way Nuendo interacts with the RME drivers. I've also been unable to get to the HDSP properties from within Nuendo for a long time. My RME cards are NOT used as my system audio card.

Thanks for any insights.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1

Re: 3.082 / 3.083 connectivity issue with Nuendo

That's a lot of channels with those two cards - and lots of MIDI I/Os as well. Cubendo is a little sensitive with that. If things are not 100% on start-up it just might throw the towel. For example if the sample rate is not the one Nuendo wants to use when started.

Calling the settings panel from within Nuendo does not work under 64. I am not sure if a fix is possible in our driver (other software can do) or if Nuendo needs to adress this internally.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Re: 3.082 / 3.083 connectivity issue with Nuendo

Thanks Matthias. It's definitely an initialization issue, because once Nuendo starts correctly I can work on it all day without any problems. But it's also safer for me to keep Nuendo running and open/close projects than to close Nuendo entirely. This morning it did what I described in the original post, but I decided not to reboot, ran a few other hosts and closed them and then Nuendo was 100% after that.

I don't know if MIDI could cause this problem. However do I know that I've maxed out the MIDI devices on this system; the 10 MIDI port device limit is alive and well in W7-64.

PC1 = HDSPe PCIe: DF-ADI-8 DS / HDSPe PCIe: MF2
MBP = HDSPe Expresscard: MF1