Topic: FireFace 400 Power Question.

Hello there
First of all, hello to everybody in this community, im new to the forum and new to RME products.

Ive just recieved my FireFace 400 a couple of days ago, i have installed it, made some music with it, and i think its a very awesome product.

However, (this might be a little dumb and maybe its a simple button combination i dont seem to find) i just cant find a way to power off my FireFace; everytime i want to turn it off, i have to disconnect it from power supply (not using the bus power at the moment).

I just want to know a couple of things:

Does the fireface haves an On/off Switch?
Is it risky to plug it/ un plugit from the power supply while the computer is on an the firewire cable attached?
Can i turn on/off my fireface while my computer is on? so this way i can turn it off, disconnect it, and continue with my job on my computer?

thanks a lot!

Re: FireFace 400 Power Question.

Come on!

i see people watching the post ...

is it so mysterious? hehehe tongue or is it too dumb to respond?

3 (edited by laex 2010-04-15 22:47:20)

hi!

a) there is no switch!
b) generally it is not advisable to "hot plug" firewire devices!
c) theoretically it is also not advisable to plug or unplugg the FF's power cable while it is connected to the computer...

personally, I try to avoid b and c, but sometimes c kinda has to happen and it didn't damage anything so far *knock on wood*... it's your choice... wink

best,
laex

DC rules!

revistillagossard wrote:

Can i turn on/off my fireface while my computer is on? so this way i can turn it off, disconnect it, and continue with my job on my computer?

You can do that safely if you are using the external power supply. When you unplug the power supply, win will unload the ff totalmix and settings and you can still use your computer.

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7

OK, OK, but my doubt hasnt been cleared yet....Is it SAFE to plug or unplug the RME Fireface 400 from the power supply (not the firewire) while is still connected to the computer?

I think this is something a little bit odd...since every other audio card ive worked with had a safe way to unplug without turning off the computer. I think its quite messy to have to shut down everything each time i want to power On/Off my RME.

Is this the only safe way???:

for turning on :  Connect RME to power supply Connect firewire to both RME and Computers, Turn on Computer????

For turning off: Turn off Computer, Disconnect RME from power supply, disconnect firewire.?????

isnt this a lot of steps?

And what if im using Bus power? should i connect my fireface while my computer is off, then turn it on, and the fireface will turn on automatically??  the same with power off???

Everything could be solved with a simple On/off switch :S

I have my effects rack, mixer, power amp and FF400 on a power strip.

When it's music time---turn the strip on.

When music time is over---turn the strip off.

Never had a problem.

Macmini '19 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

7 (edited by rwil 2010-04-16 03:49:40)

revistillagossard wrote:

for turning on :  Connect RME to power supply Connect firewire to both RME and Computers, Turn on Computer????

For turning off: Turn off Computer, Disconnect RME from power supply, disconnect firewire.?????

isnt this a lot of steps?

And what if im using Bus power? should i connect my fireface while my computer is off, then turn it on, and the fireface will turn on automatically??  the same with power off???

Everything could be solved with a simple On/off switch :S

You don't have to disconnect firewire at all.
2 ways:
-Having the external power suply: unplug from the wall or like redlogic said, turn the strip off. Of course having not the pc powered by the strip!
-Using Bus power: use the switch on the back of the ff400 like a on/off. Easy!

Also, don't worry about the state of the ff400 when power off or power on the pc. You can do that anytime, pc on or pc off.

rw

Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus_i7-3770K-3.9GHz_DDR3-16GB_Win8.1-x64_TI FW PCI_1xUAD-2_Cubase 4&7