Topic: "Small hardware modification" by RME tech support

Some of FF800 devices have problems with firmware 2.77. In general, those problems are invalid TCO tab appearing randomly in FF control panel and some devices crackle on some analog outputs.

In order to solve this problems RME tech support provides hardware solution of UNKNOWN cost, duration and extent. Some users are forced to pay for something that is not their fault. True or false? If false, what is the "user friendly" solution?

This question was allready posted in some topics with no usable answers from RME. Blind or just ignorance of known problem?

Re: "Small hardware modification" by RME tech support

I wonder if it's so "small" or a major part replacement that it is beyond any owner fixing it themslves? The thing that worries me is that my FF800 comes back from repair in a worse condition. We hear of flashing LED's and failing power supplies. Fortunately, that has not been a problem with mine yet, but apparently this problem only affects "a handful of FF800's" so why should RME care about these few? I guess we will never get the true answer, unless someones bribes the engineer to explain the procedure :-O

Well I guess there's in fact not so few FF800 devices having this issue. I think RME sold many FF800 but there are not a lot of enthusiastic users that installed latest firmware and drivers. This problem has yet not been shown in it's true size at my opinion.

But even if only 5 such cases it is completely unfair to users (if only 5 then it is not a big problem for RME to replace such units free of charge).

I too am also looking forward to an official statement by RME. Pesronally I think that to expect users to send their units back to Germany is ridiculous. RME are well established company and they should have a well established dealer network. These dealers should be qualified to service the units locally, more so if it is only a small modification. So what does the modification entail, what does it cost and how long will it take? If the modification is really so "small" perhaps you can publish the modification and users can do the modification at their own risk.

dadgad251 wrote:

If the modification is really so "small" perhaps you can publish the modification and users can do the modification at their own risk.

Yes, why not ???

Ok, I found the answer now, but I don't like it!

And with the volcanic ash permeating the European atmosphere, air-freighting the unit back to Germany is also not feasible wink