Topic: Fireface 800 montoring levels.

Just bought the FF800.  Love it and the total mix software is great, so many options.

However,  I have my speakers connected to O/P 1+2 and stereo headphone mix coming out of O/P 3+4 all running from busses, sends etc in Logic when tracking.  I like to have the headphones on the front for myself for reference.

The problem I am having is that in Totalmix:

1.  when the DAW faders on 1+2 are at unity (sending to analog O/P 1+2) I can only have my O/P faders 1+2 on the smallest amount and my speakers are blaring loud. 

2.  if I want to monitor Analog 3+4 to sort out a headphone mix for the performer I select this as the "monitor phones" option and select it.  the problem being that this also is very loud (in fact I can't even do it as I'll blow my speakers).  I have the faders set to unity going to the cans and the levels are good. 

Before you reply,  I know that I can select the analog outs 1+2 (or 3+4) and bring down the fader level in the row above to an acceptable monitoring level.  The problem with this is two things:

1. What if some fool during a session smashes the faders up on Daw outputs or by accident hits CTRL + faders and boom no speakers!   I have already saved every preset with analog o/p 1+2 off so to avoid someone, or myself, mistakingly hitting a preset with both DAW 1+2 and analog o/p 1+2 at unity. 

2.  The problem with monitoring the can mix is that if I bring down the amount sent from DAW o/p 3+4 to analog o/p 3+4 so that I can use the monitor phones function I have set it to then the level going out to the headphone mixer is decreased also obviously. 

Thanks for any replies and apologies if this is very basic stuff

Re: Fireface 800 montoring levels.

Did you set the hardware output level to -10 dBV?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Did you set the hardware output level to -10 dBV?

Yes but only cuts a small amount of level as expected.

Is there any way to lock our fader position so it cannot be moved?

I opened up itunes last night and the level was up full (itunes) from playing back internally and boomed my speakers again.

As my speakers don't have level control this is a problem.

thanks for any replies

dougens wrote:

Always use a hardware volume control unit!! Does make life a lot easier, and your speakers and ears will be thankful... wink

DC rules!

laex wrote:
dougens wrote:

Always use a hardware volume control unit!! Does make life a lot easier, and your speakers and ears will be thankful... wink

I know problem being i whacked all my money on a fface and daking mic pre iv!!!

it's next on the list

only problem being the low end monitor controls really effect the sound,  for example the mackie big knob sounds awful!

Check out this, cheap without alteration of sound (passive device, just a volume poti actually):

http://www.smproaudio.com/?id=90

marQs wrote:

Check out this, cheap without alteration of sound (passive device, just a volume poti actually):

http://www.smproaudio.com/?id=90

Thanks marQs, I looked at this but was put off the price tag thinking it may be substandard.
Have you used it?
I also looked at their ab-8 8 channel ad converter for adding more pre's to my set up.  Have you heard anything about this unit also?

thanks

Hi,
Besides the the SMProAudio there are the following in a similar price range.

Most of them are passive so technically they should not be effecting you sound quality.

SPL 2 Control

TC Electronic Level Pilot

Alva Suzy 1

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

dougens wrote:

Thanks marQs, I looked at this but was put off the price tag thinking it may be substandard.
Have you used it?
I also looked at their ab-8 8 channel ad converter for adding more pre's to my set up.  Have you heard anything about this unit also?

thanks

I use it, it's a simple but great device when this kind of simplicity is needed.

For the converter I'd be careful though. The current generation might have improved, but I had some bad experiences with older devices some years ago (don't remember the name, 8 channel AD converters without preamps with just line ins). They didn't really sync with my Hammerfall LE, weird noises with all kinds of bnc cabling, terminators and whatever - big mess. The two boxes were even labelled different (48k was 44k etc.). Just buy in a shop with moneyback option...
If you're on a budget, take a look at Behringer ADA8000. They extend my fireface for low budget and sound way better than you'd imagine considering the few bucks you have to spend for it. These things sync perfectly as slaves (ADAT in + out) but won't do more than 48kHz in case you should want to go higher.

Have not myself tested but was interested in Presonus' Digimax series or Focusrite Octopres.

If you're on a budget, take a look at Behringer ADA8000. They extend my fireface for low budget and sound way better than you'd imagine considering the few bucks you have to spend for it. These things sync perfectly as slaves (ADAT in + out) but won't do more than 48kHz in case you should want to go higher.

Thanks for reply.  The problem I have with the ADA8000 is that it's line in are just the mic pre's padded, which is not ideal as I want to buy nice external pre's and will only be using the converters of the ADA8000.  I don't want any of that Behringer nasty colouration on my pre's signal so would prefer a converter only.  Problem is under ?500 there aren't many!!  Well that carry 4-8 channel of AD/DA anyway(I would like the outs as well)

I won't be recording any higher than 48k as well. 
Is it all good to sync via adat if it's also carrying the signal A-D etc?
I thought word clock via bnc would be more beneficial?   if you have word clock of course!!

11 (edited by Byt3 2010-04-19 23:16:31)

dougens wrote:

it's next on the list

only problem being the low end monitor controls really effect the sound,  for example the mackie big knob sounds awful!

Damn right rotfl
Plus you cannot use it as an ashtray!

Byt3 wrote:
dougens wrote:

it's next on the list

Damn right rotfl
Plus you cannot use it as an ashtray!

is the tc any good?
would want a mute button really.....

Have not tried the TC or even know much about it, but I guess it is interesting even for non smokers wink.

Hi Doupens,
The TC is minimalist for sure when it comes to connectivity.
Being totally passive and balanced there is now sound quality loss.
The volume control is very smooth and the unit is solid.
Having a mute function would be nice but the volume control moving quick enough that it would just as fats as reaching for a mute.
If you need more features then the SMproaudio and Synthax Suzy are the next affordable step.
You will jump up into the SPL 2 Control or Presonus  Control Station. Beyond  that your jumping up to the Dangerous Music , Grace and Coleman Audio stuff.

Thanks Chris

Chris Ludwig | ADK Pro Audio
www.adkproaudio.com
https://www.facebook.com/adkmg

dougens wrote:

Thanks for reply.  The problem I have with the ADA8000 is that it's line in are just the mic pre's padded, which is not ideal as I want to buy nice external pre's and will only be using the converters of the ADA8000.  I don't want any of that Behringer nasty colouration on my pre's signal so would prefer a converter only.  Problem is under ?500 there aren't many!!  Well that carry 4-8 channel of AD/DA anyway(I would like the outs as well)

I don't really know but guess that AB-8 is not much different in design. Staying on the SM (sado/maso HeadScratch) route, you might prefer the Q-ADAT, which has no mic pres anyway (http://www.smproaudio.com/no_cache/prod … %5D=q-adat). There's not much of that stuff out there - unless you like to spend a fortune and buy some RME ADI 8...

dougens wrote:

I won't be recording any higher than 48k as well. 
Is it all good to sync via adat if it's also carrying the signal A-D etc?
I thought word clock via bnc would be more beneficial?   if you have word clock of course!!

To me it's the easiest stable way, can't remember any glitches or dropouts. To sync successfully via ADAT your ADAT device needs ADAT ins + outs. Given you have only an ADAT out there, syncing via wordlock bnc might make more sense. The FF wordclock should be very sufficient!