1 (edited by nocarsgo 2010-03-24 21:25:13)

Topic: Trouble getting up and running (post installation)

Hey!
   I'm going to go ahead and apologize for some of my ignorance.  I have read the manual (twice D:) and can't seem to get past a certain point.  So the latest drivers and firmware are installed, and my computer (Toshiba Satellite A355, Win 7) recognizes the fireface 800 so that all seems good.  I noticed though in the fireface mixer screen when I speak into my mic will show its level when plugged into channels 8-10, but not 7 for some reason.  However the main issue is that I can't seem to record.  I have a feeling its a setting on my computer, but I just feel lost in all the variables! 

My DAW is Adobe Audition 3, and when I go to the "Audio Hardware Setup" menu, I chose the "ASIO Fireface" option.  Then I can choose my input and output, but I'm given tons of options, and I really just don't know what to choose ie:

Analogue 1
Analogue 2 (and so on)
SPDIF...
ADAT...

I'm assuming I won't be using SPDIF or ADAT, but I'm not sure the proper configuration for just plugging my mic into the xlr of 7-10 and recording.  Plus what I need to make my recording and playback sound settings (stereo mix, speakers, adat, analogue 1+2, 3+4, etc)
Is there any way someone could help, or point me towards a more detailed description of setting up the computer side of things?  I really don't want to waste everyones time, but I've tried calling support (couldn't get up with them) and I've exhausted everything I know to do... Thanks guys, it means a lot.
-nocarsgo

edit:
Below are some screenshots to show everything, thanks again!
http://imgur.com/IJDLE.png
http://imgur.com/Yy931.png
http://imgur.com/szAqs.png
http://imgur.com/Vj9oS.png

2 (edited by nocarsgo 2010-04-12 14:48:23)

Re: Trouble getting up and running (post installation)

Okay, So I could barely get it to record, but it was still very temperamental.  However when I wanted to play back what I recorded, it wouldn't (not that it was silent, it just didn't play).  I read about switching the controller (in this case my express card I believe) to the legacy drives.  I did that, now it won't record or play, and my DAW runs slow.  I really just have no idea what to do, and I am SO fed up with dealing with not being able to record (its been over 6 months now!).  I'm willing to try anything, why is it so hard to just record?
Anyway, my setup:

Fireface 800, Toshiba Satellite A355 with Win 7, adobe Audition (and just recently Studio 1 plus Audacity of course),  Startech Texas Instruments PCI Firewire 400, Realtek High Definition Audio card.

-nocarsgo

Hey guys,
   I hate to post again on this topic, but could someone please give it some thought?  I've tried tech support, they said it wasn't their problem, I've tried four other recording forums I regularly post at, and people I know who are knowledgeable with this stuff.  I'm almost at the point of being willing to pay if someone can fix it.  Please?

Okay, hopefully final update (and maybe a reply from someone?), I had to buy a new computer, this time a desktop (I exhausted everything with my laptop).  It works a whole lot better, recording was easy, right out of the box.  However, I cannot hear the sound of what I have recorded.  I know some people said the legacy route helped, but I know one of the mods said its no longer needed.  I have the Fireface Asio speakers as the default on my pc, and with the actual track I recorded Analogue7/8, so analogue7/8 is my output.  It shows it playing, and I get signal, but no sound.  Its across the board to, can't play youtube clips, wmp, etc.  Anyway, thanks guys. I can't help contribute if I can't actually get mine to work to begin with!
-nocarsgo

Where's your master bus routed to?

-----------------------

Various ADK computers :-)

Alright, we are up and running big_smile Hopefully now I can help out here on the forum, instead of just asking for help! Thanks,
-nocarsgo